Gardening with a CSA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milkdemcows

Assistant Cook
We've enrolled in a CSA for this coming year, first time doing so. Now, with seed catalogs arriving and all, we're wondering what we should plant ourselves. We don't have very much space, maybe 150 square feet plus some containers, but are wondering what to put in that space to complement our CSA.

I know every one is different, but are there things, maybe like tomatoes or zucchini, that one would get plenty of in a CSA and shouldn't plant oneself? Other things that one should?

If the CSA will provide alot of the bulky veggies I would grow at home the things that are nice to have on hand land dont store well... like Herbs that you can pick fresh as needed. Chili pepper plants are alos attractive and non space hogging

A couple of Grape Tomato plants will produce hundreds - with room left over --- Very tasty little devils!!! Delicious in salads etc....

We've enrolled in a CSA for this coming year, first time doing so. Now, with seed catalogs arriving and all, we're wondering what we should plant ourselves. We don't have very much space, maybe 150 square feet plus some containers, but are wondering what to put in that space to complement our CSA.

I know every one is different, but are there things, maybe like tomatoes or zucchini, that one would get plenty of in a CSA and shouldn't plant oneself? Other things that one should?

Have you gardened before? If not, start small, just a few plants or vegetables, start small and keep the garden small, until you get the feel of what it takes to sucessfully bring in a crop. Oh, and start little:-p and grow what you like to cook/eat.

I had to look up CSA, since I'd never heard of it. Great concept! Good luck with it, milk!

Of course we don't know what your CSA will yield, so I take it that you are looking for things that are ALWAYS nice to have right outside your door.

I agree with the herb plants, absolutely! And one jalapeno plant does me nicely every year.

Radishes are quick-growing and always satisfactory (French Breakfast are great in my containers).

Ichiban (mini Japanese) eggplants do very well in containers, too, so a few of those are terrific to have on hand.

A strawberry plant, perhaps?

Don't forget flowers in your garden!

Lee

Back
Top Bottom