Help me save my basil!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I had planned on taking down my basil tomorrow for another harvest.... quite well knowing it could be the last....
We "may" get a frost tonight!!!
(why do I live here?!?!?)
I don't have the energy to stay up all night picking off leaves and processing. If I were to snip it off short enough to fit in a short pail of water in the fridge, sort of like cut flowers, do you think it would be ok until I got to it tomorrow?

SQ------your basil is going kaput no matter what.........just take small bunches, tie with string or rubber band them at the ends and hang them upside down in a dry place.......in a few weeks you will have some wonderful dried basil......... fresh basil is only going to last a few days in the fridge.......sorry to hear that you're getting a freeze.....even in good ol' coldest capital in the world we haven't had a freeze yet....but it's coming............our river will be frozen solid by Nov.

as far as basil in water.......I haven't had much luck but the locals here when they sell you fresh basil actually have the dirt clod that they grew in still attached......I know......gross ........but it does seem to prolong them a bit longer.......but I've never really had a lot of luck with water........maybe someone else here has a trick for you----good luck and maybe you can cover them up tonight?

Suzi, I've cut stems of basil and kept them in water on the windowsill for up to a month. The little devils grow water roots! But they don't last all winter long, alas!

Here's a picture of a "just before the frost" harvest a couple of years ago. Basil, parsley and tomatoes.

Lee

:) Go ahead and snip, wrap in damp paper towels put in fridge and process tommorow it should keep well. Are you making pesto? Keeps better than you think.

Gosh, sorry seeing this so late. I don't know your time zone. But you could tent the live plants with a sheet or some other fabric that's breathable. Thst should be just enough to protect them for the night. Good Luck.

Lookit that Qsis!!! That's great!
Well I went out hoping for no freeze and covered everything with the most ridiculous collection of old sheets you've ever seen. Tomatoes, peppers, basil... covered with Pokemon, Strawberry shortcake, and flowered sheets. I amy take a pic in the morning.
I kinda hope it does frost now after all that work!

:) Go ahead and snip, wrap in damp paper towels put in fridge and process tommorow it should keep well. Are you making pesto? Keeps better than you think.

gorgeosa, jg!!!!!!! I knew that someone at DC would have had better luck than I......I think that I've lived over here too long without a garden of my own.....is the "grew" in your name for your beautiful green thumb;)?

I am no expert, but it is my understanding that basil shouldn't be refrigerated below 40°, optimum temperature is above 50°. Make sure there is no water on the leaves or you will find black spots wherever the water was.

Whoops! Meant to say Qsis's green thumb-----picture is beautiful, btw! and Qsis, wrapping in paper toweling certainly does help!! Sorry for the mixup..my new glasses come in about 2 weeks

crud now I am thinking I should go out in the dark and snip.....
but my nose is already cold and I gotta get these kids in bed for my own sanity.

I am no expert, but it is my understanding that basil shouldn't be refrigerated below 40°, optimum temperature is above 50°. Make sure there is no water on the leaves or you will find black spots wherever the water was.

yeah, I've found that to be true in my experience, too.......many leaves of plants don't appreciate water on them........must be boys!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Suzi... I would do expatgirl suggested. As you know, I have been overwhelmed with basil and had problem figuring out what to do with it all. I actually had to toss a large bundle into my compost bin. I have at least 8 containers of pesto and some basil/EVOO mixture. I hated to do it, but was not sure what else to do with it at the time. Now I wished I would have hung it out to dry! No pun intended!!! Plus it makes it easy to just cut the plant as opposed to harvesting the leaves. I know I caught this late, but I hope it all works out.

Save The Basil

QSis....what a beautiful site. Will do....just before frost. I will store just the leaves (piled tight) in a small plastic container just before the FROST.

They keep GREEN in the freezer. They are great until the next season.
I do the same with parsley. Small plastic containers in the door of my freezer for fast access.

Thanks Satie, I hope so too...
Oh and you were right, it was about 2 weeks ago I cut that one plant off wasn't it?
It's almost as big as the others!
I hope they make it and frost doesn't come back for another month!

When I had my basil plants I pulled them up and hung them in the pantry till they dried and then striped off the leaves and put in a mason jar. I had good basil all winter.

Whoops! Meant to say Qsis's green thumb-----picture is beautiful, btw! and Qsis, wrapping in paper toweling certainly does help!! Sorry for the mixup..my new glasses come in about 2 weeks

:LOL::LOL: I knew you couldn't have mean me. I can grow tomatoes and basil but everything else is usually a failure.

Ok, where should I hang my basil to dry? I just went and harvested a bush and got it all ready. I have no place to hang me basil!

No frost up here either Charlie. I had everything covered up but it was not needed. Oh well.
I'm going to see what tonights weather will be and maybe procrastinate another day.

Back
Top Bottom