"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 05-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

impressive

Old 05-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Great idea, Sparrowgrass! Beautiful garden.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #13
Head Chef

I'm thinking of doing that arch, but on a slightly smaller scale, like between two pots on my patio. Of course I could go absolutely wild and use 4 pots, one for each leg section.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
I'm thinking of doing that arch, but on a slightly smaller scale, like between two pots on my patio. Of course I could go absolutely wild and use 4 pots, one for each leg section.
Going wild every once in a while is good for the soul. Go for it and post us some pic's.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #15
Head Chef

The pix is from a couple of years ago--this year has been too wet to really start gardening. I waded out and mudded in the tomatoes, but I haven't set the posts and put up the panels yet.

According to the weather report, it may be 4th of July before the garden dries out enough to plant corn and beans.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:45 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Tomato types

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilichip View Post
I'm starting a garden this year and want to know how you keep your tomato plants from growing so crazy, I have use the cages and they just don't really help I want them to grow up and not all over the ground. One day I hope to be good at gardening.
Hi chilichip,
There are two types of tomatos. The neat kind and the crazy all over the place kind. The gardeners don't call them that! They are called determinate and indeterminant. You give up volume of tomatos to have the neat tight plant as once a determinate plant sets bloom it won't keep growing it gives you some tomatoes and that is it. The indeterminate continue vegetative growth through out the season with all the blooming and tomatoes that goes with it. If you want some tomatoes and have limited space or are growing in pots look at the varieties labeled determinate.

The other genetic traits you may want to look for are three letters on the label VFN. This means that the plant has been bred to be resistent to the tomato problems of verticilium wilt, fusarium wilt, and nematodes.

Lastly if you are a smoker wash your hands before touching tomato plants. You could infect them with tobacco mosaic disease. Tomatoes are an alternative host to this and will get weak weird twisted foliage before the plants fade.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #17
Honey Badger

I guess I just infected my tomatoes.I'm a smoker!
Gosh darn it all,will smokers be blamed for any more diseases? I think that's the least of a tomato plants worries.

Munky.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #18
Master Chef

I did something similar to the arch sparrowgrass showed in Hawaii and Florida with cherry tomatoes. One thing that helps is that, no matter how spindly and scrawny your little tomato plants look, they will be monsters some day, and the fruit is heavy. So whenever buying or making a frame for them, go bigger than you think they will need, and remember to make harvesting easy (the arch was great because the tomatoes would hang down and you could just pick them). A big help is to mulch the area heavily with wood chips. That way the tomatoes that wind up lying on the ground aren't in the mud and don't rot easily. You'd think that after 20+ years of trying to grow tomatoes, I'd have learned that earlier, but only started using a coarse much last year and it saved me much rot and insect damage.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #19
Master Chef

Oh, can't resist adding, yes, I'd heard that smokers can infect tomato plants with some disease. I've never smoked, but my daddy smoked like a chimney (he quit awhile back) and grew some great tomatoes!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

had the first ripe tomato today. lol only one was ripe, the little pear shaped yellow one. i ate it right away. lordy i love those things.