"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 09-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #161
Senior Cook

We're still doing tomatoes, plenty of salad vegetables, fennel just about over, basil still going strong, all the other herbs still producing, carrots the same, same with the onions and garlic finished, most things already done, like bottling and freezing, pumpkins not yet ready, what we're really starting to check every day are the vineyards, it looks like an early year this year.....
our vineyard's very small, much smaller than the others, but they're commercial vineyards, but looks like a good year's on the way unless it starts raining!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Old 09-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #162
Sous Chef

We have so far this summer gotten 2 tiny chilies, 2 pea size tomatoes, 3 wild strawberries and a lot of chocolate mint and pineapple sage. And the season is over soon and now the tomatoes are full of green tomatoes and the wild strawberries has gone from half dead to full of leaf...

Old 09-01-2016, 02:16 PM   #163
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
We have so far this summer gotten 2 tiny chilies, 2 pea size tomatoes, 3 wild strawberries and a lot of chocolate mint and pineapple sage. And the season is over soon and now the tomatoes are full of green tomatoes and the wild strawberries has gone from half dead to full of leaf...
What is the average temperature there? Chiles and tomatoes need lots of sunshine and warmth.

Green tomatoes will ripen off the vine, or you can make fried green tomatoes or green tomato gratin.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #164
Sous Chef

This summer we have had between 22- 35 C, so it hasnt been too cold, the wild strawberries was getting into bloom in May when we had freak snow fall, yes it went from 17C to 0 in one day, next day it was back up to 12 C.

And I tried new type of tomatoes that was supposed to give us lots of tomatoes quickly, 4 of my neighbors tried the same breed and at most we have gotten 2 or 3 tiny ones 3 months of being out, it said 3- 4 weeks...
We have lots of pea sizes green ones.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #165
Chef Extraordinaire

Picked a peck of peppers yesterday Anaheim, Cubanelle, jalapeņo and poblano. Need to get going on roasting, peeling and freezing most of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1475517622188.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	25480  
Old 10-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #166
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Picked a peck of peppers yesterday Anaheim, Cubanelle, jalapeņo and poblano. Need to get going on roasting, peeling and freezing most of them.
Bea-yuuuuuuuu-tiful!
Old 10-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #167
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Bea-yuuuuuuuu-tiful!
Yes!
Old 10-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #168
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you! I'm stuffing some for dinner tonight
Old 10-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #169
Head Chef

I'm so jealous! Poblanos! I can often get them in the large grocers in Toronto if and when I go there, but seeing as trips are far and few between...

It is not a popular pepper here. You never see them in the nurseries in the spring. I ask at all the markets hoping to put a couple of bees in their bonnets. One guy who usually does them did not this year, sigh... and I haven't gone to Toronto lately...