"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I would like to hear about your variations on the classic Chicken Fried Steak and/or how you serve it.

I make mine by breading and frying cube steak and then I top it with a slice of tomatoe, a couple of slices of avacado, and then a slice of swiss cheese. I pop it under the broiler for a few minutes to melt the chese.
That sounds so good to me, and so "California" 4me!
You should call it "California Chicken Fried Steak".
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 52
Cube steaks, dredged in seasoned flour, fried in bacon drippings usually drizzled with a peppered milk gravy that literally screams for a good mashed and a veggie .
__________________

__________________
JuanaCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
Senior Cook
 
BigAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: W.KS
Posts: 417
The "usual" out here is sausage gravy over well fried minute steak w/a side of mash. A way we also like it is as a sammie, chicken fry covered w/nacho cheese on a bun.

Any way you do it, it will be good.
__________________
BigAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
Admiral of the Texas Navy
 
forty_caliber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,412
Tenderized cube steak, bathed in cayenne egg wash, pressed into salt and pepper flour until all surfaces are heavily coated then pan fried in bacon fat until GBD. De-glaze pan with brandy and build cream gravy from the drippings. Serve mashed potatoes, and black eye peas.

.40
__________________
"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Tenderized cube steak, bathed in cayenne egg wash, pressed into salt and pepper flour until all surfaces are heavily coated then pan fried in bacon fat until GBD. De-glaze pan with brandy and build cream gravy from the drippings. Serve mashed potatoes, and black eye peas.

.40
I'd eat my share of that!!! Good call on da peas!!!
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #16
Senior Cook
 
texherp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 112
I season mine with a little allspice and lots of black pepper. I also bread mine with flour-egg-flour and freeze them individually. I fry them directly from frozen which allows the outside to crisp without overcooking the meat. And I find it very important to have the oil deep enough to cover the top of the steak so the top doesn't get soggy. I also fry them outside in a little cast iron skillet on an electric burner so I can really ramp up the heat to get it crisp and so it doesn't stink up the house. I make chicken fried steak a lot!
__________________
-AJ
texherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by texherp View Post
I season mine with a little allspice and lots of black pepper. I also bread mine with flour-egg-flour and freeze them individually. I fry them directly from frozen which allows the outside to crisp without overcooking the meat. And I find it very important to have the oil deep enough to cover the top of the steak so the top doesn't get soggy. I also fry them outside in a little cast iron skillet on an electric burner so I can really ramp up the heat to get it crisp and so it doesn't stink up the house. I make chicken fried steak a lot!
Now that's a really great idea! I'll remember that as I can't stand over cooked beef steaks, and love that brown crispy thing goin on.
Great tip!
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Now that's a really great idea! I'll remember that as I can't stand over cooked beef steaks, and love that brown crispy thing goin on.
Great tip!
That works for hamburgers, too (without the coating of course), whether you are pan frying them or grilling them. It gives you a nice crust by the time the middle is that color we are not supposed to eat
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
I would eat at any of your tables. I just love it cooked and served any way!
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #20
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That works for hamburgers, too (without the coating of course), whether you are pan frying them or grilling them. It gives you a nice crust by the time the middle is that color we are not supposed to eat
Sushhhhhhh..I hear ya!

Hey that reminds me, have you tried your turtles with frozen franks yet?
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chicken, steak

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.