"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 09-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I would like to hear about your variations on the classic Chicken Fried Steak and/or how you serve it.

I make mine by breading and frying cube steak and then I top it with a slice of tomatoe, a couple of slices of avacado, and then a slice of swiss cheese. I pop it under the broiler for a few minutes to melt the chese.
That sounds so good to me, and so "California" 4me!
You should call it "California Chicken Fried Steak".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
Cook

Cube steaks, dredged in seasoned flour, fried in bacon drippings usually drizzled with a peppered milk gravy that literally screams for a good mashed and a veggie .

Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
Senior Cook

The "usual" out here is sausage gravy over well fried minute steak w/a side of mash. A way we also like it is as a sammie, chicken fry covered w/nacho cheese on a bun.

Any way you do it, it will be good.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Tenderized cube steak, bathed in cayenne egg wash, pressed into salt and pepper flour until all surfaces are heavily coated then pan fried in bacon fat until GBD. De-glaze pan with brandy and build cream gravy from the drippings. Serve mashed potatoes, and black eye peas.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Tenderized cube steak, bathed in cayenne egg wash, pressed into salt and pepper flour until all surfaces are heavily coated then pan fried in bacon fat until GBD. De-glaze pan with brandy and build cream gravy from the drippings. Serve mashed potatoes, and black eye peas.

I'd eat my share of that!!! Good call on da peas!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I season mine with a little allspice and lots of black pepper. I also bread mine with flour-egg-flour and freeze them individually. I fry them directly from frozen which allows the outside to crisp without overcooking the meat. And I find it very important to have the oil deep enough to cover the top of the steak so the top doesn't get soggy. I also fry them outside in a little cast iron skillet on an electric burner so I can really ramp up the heat to get it crisp and so it doesn't stink up the house. I make chicken fried steak a lot!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texherp View Post
I season mine with a little allspice and lots of black pepper. I also bread mine with flour-egg-flour and freeze them individually. I fry them directly from frozen which allows the outside to crisp without overcooking the meat. And I find it very important to have the oil deep enough to cover the top of the steak so the top doesn't get soggy. I also fry them outside in a little cast iron skillet on an electric burner so I can really ramp up the heat to get it crisp and so it doesn't stink up the house. I make chicken fried steak a lot!
Now that's a really great idea! I'll remember that as I can't stand over cooked beef steaks, and love that brown crispy thing goin on.
Great tip!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Now that's a really great idea! I'll remember that as I can't stand over cooked beef steaks, and love that brown crispy thing goin on.
Great tip!
That works for hamburgers, too (without the coating of course), whether you are pan frying them or grilling them. It gives you a nice crust by the time the middle is that color we are not supposed to eat
Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I would eat at any of your tables. I just love it cooked and served any way!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That works for hamburgers, too (without the coating of course), whether you are pan frying them or grilling them. It gives you a nice crust by the time the middle is that color we are not supposed to eat
Sushhhhhhh..I hear ya!

Hey that reminds me, have you tried your turtles with frozen franks yet?

Tags
chicken, steak