"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 04-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Master Chef

Country Pâté at Home

Yesterday I made a pâté using this recipe from Jacques Pepin. Pork Liver Pâté | Essential Pepin

It is a very simple straight forward recipe for making a wonderful pâté using common inexpensive ingredients.

The recipe has started me thinking about variations or additions. The use of different meats, seasonings and additions like strips of ham or chicken, pistachio nuts, stuffed olives, prunes etc...

I am hoping that some of you may be able to provide a TNT recipe or idea for homemade cold cuts.

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Master Chef

I've made home-made pate's of different types. Chicken liver pate' involves the use of cooked chicken livers (take care to leave a touch of pink so as to not overcook them), garlic, butter, sage, salt, and ginger. Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth and silky. Chill and serve.

Another cold-cut pate I made involved strips of chicken and pork. I buttered a bread loaf pan and pressed strips of raw pork onto the sides and bottom. I seasoned with S & P, onion and garlic powder, and thyme. Then, I laid down strips of chicken, seasoning, pork, and continued layering to the top. The pork had a bit of fat and connecting tissue attached to it. These dissolved as I cooked the lunch loaf pate'. When all was chilled, the collagen and fat held the loaf together as I sliced it for sandwiches.

As long as veggies are chopped fine, use any kind of meat/veggie combinations that you think would work. Just remember that there has to be a bit of connecting tissue and fat to hold everything together when removed from the loaf pan. If your meat is very lean, add a little dissolved gelatine to the mix.

I have also taken similar ingredients and processed until a smooth paste was made, then placed it into the loaf pan and baked it. This makes a very tasty lunch meat loaf as well.

You can add seasonings such as liquid smoke, cracked pepper, mustard seed, or powdered mustard, coriander, sage, thyme, basil, etc. You can add chopped olives, capers, etc. Just use your imagination.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Julia made pate' a few times on her show. But I have no idea where to find her recipes for it. I do remember in one she put in a row on hard boiled eggs right down the middle so that when you sliced it, it looked so pretty.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Master Chef

Addie, I think I saw that episode!

I think for my next experiment I am going to try making one using meatball mix and calf's liver or a James Beard recipe for Beach Pâté . I am just trying to find a couple of TNT recipes that I can use this summer for cold salad plates.

In my house pâté is just a cold meatloaf with an attitude!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Half Baked

I made a Pate from the Jaques and Julia cookbook if I remember and it was so strong in Cognac I couldn't eat it. It turned me off since I spent alot of money on quality ingredients and invested the time into it. I love pate in restaurants and should try again. BTW I love that cookbook and I could be mistaken since it was several years ago.Maybe I goofed or something.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Julia Child pate Google search

I'll try to remember to post my Danish liver pate (leverpostej) recipe after tax season is over.

I have made this cold cut a number of times. I really like it: Rullepřlse - Danish spiced meat roll I really need a source of fattier meat. It's better that way.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I made a Pate from the Jaques and Julia cookbook if I remember and it was so strong in Cognac I couldn't eat it. It turned me off since I spent alot of money on quality ingredients and invested the time into it. I love pate in restaurants and should try again. BTW I love that cookbook and I could be mistaken since it was several years ago.Maybe I goofed or something.
Next time don't use so much Cognac. And like they say, if it is not to your liking, leave it out or substitute.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I used 1/4 cup of Cognac for 2 1/2 pounds of meat and it tasted good to me. You can also use white wine or even sherry. It might be good to experiment with an American version using a shot or two of bourbon!

Addie is right though if you don't like it leave it out or cut back.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:13 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Julia Child pate Google search

I'll try to remember to post my Danish liver pate (leverpostej) recipe after tax season is over.

I have made this cold cut a number of times. I really like it: Rullepřlse - Danish spiced meat roll I really need a source of fattier meat. It's better that way.
I will give the meat roll a try. It reminds me of a recipe I have seen for English Spiced Beef.

I use your bread pan method for pressing when I make pate or meatloaf. I put three large cans of a legal beverage in the top bread pan to provide the weight. I never thought of using twine, great idea!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

cognac, wine, or bourbon.

hey, that's a pate party!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
other