"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Old 02-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #31
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Originally Posted by GHPoe View Post
I recently bought some ground beef from Albertsons. I was cooking it up and saw something blue in it. I didnt think much of it and picked it out and threw it in the sink. Then I saw another, and another, and so on. My wife looked at it and said it was something rubbery.

I called Albertsons and they said oh sorry its a glove or a food rubber band. It happens all the time, no need to bring it back, we will give you some more. I decided to get some Morans ground beef instead, but after that night I have been grinding my own beef now using my kitchen aid and an attachment we got at our wedding 10 years ago and NEVER EVEN USED. :) Let me tell you, it is some of the best ground beef I have ever had. (The great thing is you get to control what goes in it. I put 1/2 chuck, 1/2 top sirloin.)

I agree that the service and quality and the big super markets is not consistent like it would be from a real butcher.
You are SO right, GH Poe! and it's not very hard to grind the meat yourself.

It's very sad, but most of the people who staff grocery store meat counters are not even "meat cutters," and don't have probably as much knowledge as many of the posters here about the various cuts of meat and what parts of the various animals they come from.

My wonderful butcher in Boston (boy, do I ever miss him!) grinds the beef right in front of you. and if you want a blend of pork, veal and beef, you watch him custom make your blend for you. The way he (and the other butchers in the shop) do the meat for braciole and scaloppine is pure poetry. No pounding down of cutlets and calling it scaloppine there! I still love to go in and just watch them work. and I never go to Boston without bringing back scaloppine and a few pounds of the best sausage in the world.

We all owe it to ourselves and to the remaining butchers here in US to seek them out and patronize them. It is a dying profession, and one we really shouldn't let get away.

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #32
Senior Cook
To JUNE and GHPoe

At the same store of which you speak, some months back they had a sale on a slab of bone in rib eye. I bought the log and asked to have it cut in one inch slices. The "butcher" gave it to a kid and when he returned there was a pile of beef cut in about one half slices. I don't know what they did with them.

Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #33
Master Chef
my gramma had a real butcher.......boy, those were the days......now in KZ it's interesting............they don't cut the chicken the way we do in the states......so I don't know if it's a thigh or a breast and I usually want the breasts.........so since I know no Russian I have the package of chicken in front of me and point to my thigh and then to my um......chest area........and give the well.......what is it guys, look???.......they know me by now and think that I'm funny.......I don't care.......I'm not about to date one of them..........hand and body language get me by about 75% of the time over there...........though I do carry a pocket Russian/English dictionary with me in my purse.......
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #34
Assistant Cook
In Chicago you really have to hunt for a butcher that won't overcharge simply because there are too many people here that will buy meat from market A because it's where the Jones' shop. I have a good butcher and shop ther for special occasions. I stock up on bulk meat at Costco. Pork loins, Pot roast etc...
Emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #35
Senior Cook
I frequent a small chain grocery store (I wouldn't even say it's a supermarket), and I've made friends (first name basis) with one of the butchers, and then on special occasions when I need an out of the ordinary cut, he treats me right with service and price. The butchers have some lee-way in pricing and can save you a few dollars.
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #36
Master Chef
i wish i knew of a butcher near me!! most of the ones that were around are closed along time now. i don't see meat butcher shop or a poulrty butcher shop any more.
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #37
Senior Cook
I would use a butcher if there was a not-so-overly-priced one around. We only have one around and he charges nearly twice as much for his meats. Where we live now is only groceries like Publix, Winn Dixie, or Walmart unfortunately.
"A man has to believe in something ... I believe I'll have another drink."
freefallin1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #38
Sous Chef
We buy our meat by the animal and it is butchered at our local butcher. So, yes. And we also know the farmer that raised it and how our meat is raised. It turns out to be a really great deal.

I would never attempt to butcher an entire steer unless I had to. I can't imagine dealing with 1200lbs. of animal. Chickens... yes, beef, no.
Life is too short to eat processed, artificially-colored, chemically-preserved, genetically-modified food. Or maybe that IS why life's too short.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #39
Honey Badger
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
i wish i knew of a butcher near me!! most of the ones that were around are closed along time now. i don't see meat butcher shop or a poulrty butcher shop any more.
Years ago we assumed that our butcher only made Swiss Sausages.That's what the sign said anyways.Little did we know he really has it going on.He does everything.Don't let a sign fool ya :)
Sometimes the prices go up.But you get what you pay for.He's kind enough to warn us ahead of time.

Butchers are becoming rare (no pun intended).If you find a good one keep them.They will always be the best thing going.
If my husbands work has a pot luck function,we always cook up a dozen or so of sausages.Next to them my husband puts out a stack of business cards.Both disappear fast.
It certainly helps everyone out.Especially around here,it's rural.Nobody wants the hour long drive for less then quality meats,when they can get the best at home.

If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire
i don't eat much beef. so a packaged rib eye is ok with me. thick pork chops as well or pork steaks. i mostly eat chicken, not breast.but thighs and wings, i prefer. so all is bought at von's . if i want special, i go to albertsons they have a great meat section and they back up their product. but they are super super expensive. sea food is the problem for me here in calif. not very good choices, unless once again pay two prices at albertsons. oh well i can always be a veggie eater.

"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote