"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 05-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

i do in crockpot with no liquid. 6 to 7 hours. i pour bbq sauce on top. sometimes i put chunks of onion on bottom of pan. they are delicious.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There is really no reason to parboil ribs before putting them into the oven.
Parboiling... no I don't see the reason for that either, but you may be confusing the terms I described.

There are quite a few reasons actually to poach or simmer ribs and cook them all the way through, and then finish them in a desired sauce or flavor. You may not be partial to them though.

As a professional chef that has worked 20+ years in the industry, the process I have described is rather standard for any kitchen without a rotisserie.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCrummyApartment View Post
Parboiling... no I don't see the reason for that either, but you may be confusing the terms I described.

There are quite a few reasons actually to poach or simmer ribs and cook them all the way through, and then finish them in a desired sauce or flavor. You may not be partial to them though.

As a professional chef that has worked 20+ years in the industry, the process I have described is rather standard for any kitchen without a rotisserie.

I was a little sloppy in my use of proper terminology. What I meant to say is, I see no reason to put ribs in hot water and cook them.

Please help be out with the 'quite a few reasons' for doing this other than those that relate to convenience.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCrummyApartment View Post
the process I have described is rather standard for any kitchen without a rotisserie.
Never heard of ribs on a rotisserie, either.

I do know a lot of people parboil and then finish on the grill. But you lose taste and texture that way, IMO.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Please help be out with the 'quite a few reasons' for doing this other than those that relate to convenience.
Sure. Just refer to my other posts about infusing flavor and making specific use of the OPs limited equipment. In this way he would be able to finish off the ribs in the counter top oven. All I was saying is that I cook a lot in a tiny apartment and very well understand some of these contraints. My recommendations addressed the OP's situation.

On the other hand, I could also see your way of doing them too, especially if I had a few hours to watch over them in the oven. I have no problem with that either, especially if I am in the cooking mood, you know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I do know a lot of people parboil and then finish on the grill. But you lose taste and texture that way, IMO.
Yes, as mentioned, parboiling is certainly not adding anything.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Never heard of ribs on a rotisserie, either.
I've actually done it on a bbq rotisserie, low and slow, over charcoal in my Weber kettle. I did not see much difference between doing that and smoking it on a grate.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

If the water is pork flavored when you're done poaching, then there's less pork flavor in the meat. Most use a dry rub to add flavors to ribs.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm with crummy apt on this one. I have had ribs poached in heavily seasoned water and finished on the grill and they were excellent. They weren't smoked or grilled... but very tasty with good texture nonetheless. And I was a bit jealous that my buddy had this technique down pat and mine on the other hand, done the same way (yes, for convenience) lacked something. It's just another way to cook ribs. Sort of like how some folks like pan searing a steak and finishing it in the oven, whereas I've tried that method a few times and can't believe you wouldn't grill the steak, given the opportunity to. I won't stand here though, OK, sit here, and say that grilling is the absolute only way to cook a steak.

Anyway, No way I would try to cook ribs start to finish in a small counter top oven. A chicken breast maybe. Without a little precooking I can easily see the ribs getting burned and tough.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Anyway, No way I would try to cook ribs start to finish in a small counter top oven. A chicken breast maybe. Without a little precooking I can easily see the ribs getting burned and tough.
However Pac, with my "foil package" method they will not burn, and be very tender since the ribs produce their own liquid in which to tenderize.
Careful watching is all that's needed when they are removed from the foil for the last few minutes.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Very good point, Kayelle. Foiling them up would give them some protection and help them cook more quickly and evenly. I must have missed your post. I was reading last to first quickly

Tags
cooking