"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #11
Head Chef

The ratio I use is 1 lb. 85% ground beef - 3/4 cup bread crumbs - 1/4 cup milk - 1 egg.

I bake them at 375F for 30 minutes, then put them in a slow cooker and cover with BBQ sauce. The meatballs develop a bit of a crust while baking. I don't turn them while baking, but they would develop a more uniform crust if I did. You might want to turn half of your batch and see what the results are.

tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #12
Executive Chef

This is the recipe i use. I'm sure it's cobbled together from others.

1 1/2 pounds ground beef 80/20 or 85/15
2 Sweet Italian Sausage links, casing removed
1 medium onion, very finely chopped
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, toasted
1/4 teaspoon salt
black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper or red pepper flakes
2 garlic cloves, crushed
A little cooking oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine all ingredients except cooking oil in a bowl. Stir well without compacting the mix too much. Shape mixture into about 30 meatballs. Place on a sheet pan coated with a little oil. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until done. Remove from pan and drain before placing in a sauce.

You can freeze these cooked meatballs in a ziplock bag and remove as many as you need at a time. Or, you can freeze them in the sauce.

Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #13
Master Chef

This is my go to meatball recipe. You have to play the eggs and bread crumbs by judgement.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1950417
Old 02-23-2018, 06:44 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I was taught how to make Italian style meataballs by an old Sicilian coworker when I got my first apartment many years ago.

He said it was his mama's recipe, and that everything was done in trees and tirds.

He meant that you need three pounds on meat: 1 lb each of ground pork, ground, beef, and ground veal. Tree pounds.

Next, add tree huge eggs, and by eye, add one tird (1/3rd) of the volume of the meat in seasoned breadcrumbs, one tird of the volume in dried parsley, and a little less than one tird of the volume in grated parmesan cheese.

You can add tree tablespoons of toasted garlic in evoo if you want, but it's not necessary.

Mix everything together, adding whole milk as you go to get the right consistency, and to add moisture so you don't end up with dry balls. (He thought that was really funny, that even his mama used to laugh)

Finally, scoop and form into balls bigger than a golf ball but not too big, and pan fry until well browned on at least tree sides in olive oil before adding to a pot of sauce.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Aldo Fabrizio's recipe is:

for 4 people: 600 ground best quality veal ( I find that half ground pork and half sausage meat works very well also). A handful fresh white breadcrumbs moistened in a little milk, 1/2 handful fresh breadcrumbs, together with a handful of parmigiano moisended a little milk, 1 egg, flour, 1/2 onioned, olive oil, and salt. A little ground nutmeg.

Grind the meat twice through the mincer, add the breadcrumbs, add the finely chopped parsley and the nutmeg, the Parmigiano and finally the egg. Work well until your mix is easy to work into meatballs. Roll into the flour, and then fry until the meatballs are nicely browned.

The tomato sauce:

2 cans of tomato polpa, and 1 glass white wine. chop the onions, and cook until the sauce is ready, roughly, much at the same time as the meatballs. Origano, parsley, origano and basil are good with this sauce. We don't usually add any Parmesan once the dish is cooked. This is very similar to the above recipe!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I was taught how to make Italian style meataballs by an old Sicilian coworker when I got my first apartment many years ago.

He said it was his mama's recipe, and that everything was done in trees and tirds.

He meant that you need three pounds on meat: 1 lb each of ground pork, ground, beef, and ground veal. Tree pounds.

Next, add tree huge eggs, and by eye, add one tird (1/3rd) of the volume of the meat in seasoned breadcrumbs, one tird of the volume in dried parsley, and a little less than one tird of the volume in grated parmesan cheese.

You can add tree tablespoons of toasted garlic in evoo if you want, but it's not necessary.

Mix everything together, adding whole milk as you go to get the right consistency, and to add moisture so you don't end up with dry balls. (He thought that was really funny, that even his mama used to laugh)

Finally, scoop and form into balls bigger than a golf ball but not too big, and pan fry until well browned on at least tree sides in olive oil before adding to a pot of sauce.
Thank you, Bucky! This sounds like a good and easy to remember method to get consistent meatballs. Copied and saved....since my meatball 'recipe' tends to not be consistent...

Finding ground veal here might be an issue...I'll have to ask the in-store butcher about that. I don't think I've ever seen it in our local grocery store. I know I could always omit it and go halves on the meat instead of 'tirds', but it would be interesting to make up a big batch as written here.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thank you, Bucky! This sounds like a good and easy to remember method to get consistent meatballs. Copied and saved....since my meatball 'recipe' tends to not be consistent...

Finding ground veal here might be an issue...I'll have to ask the in-store butcher about that. I don't think I've ever seen it in our local grocery store. I know I could always omit it and go halves on the meat instead of 'tirds', but it would be interesting to make up a big batch as written here.
If you can't find veal or don't want to pay that much try substituting a pound of ground turkey.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I've made them without veal many times, and you could barely tell the difference.

Subbing turkey is a good idea. Thanks, B.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
If you can't find veal or don't want to pay that much try substituting a pound of ground turkey.
Good suggestion AB, thank you.

Tags
italian, meat