Lost chili con carne receipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djf419

Assistant Cook
About 30 years ago I had what I believe was a Pillsbury cookbook that has a section called "Crowd Size Meals". In that section was a receipe for Chili Con Carne. The receipe started out with 4 lbs of ground beef and I think about 10 medium sized onions, chili powder, sugar, etc. I recall living in a frat house and making this chili on a regualr basis. It is a great receipe, but I have lost the cookbook and receipe. Is there anyone that may have this cookbook and receipe? :?:

Chili for a Crowd

Hi djf,

Welcome to Discuss Cooking. This is the closest I could find - is it similar??

4 pounds ground beef
8 medium onions, chopped (4 cups)
4 cans (28 ounces each) whole tomatoes, undrained
4 cans (15 to 16 ounces each) kidney beans, drained and liquid reserved
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
(garnish with sour cream, jack cheese, fresh salsa or just fresh cilantro)

1. Cook beef and onions in 8-quart Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown and onions are tender; drain.

2. Stir in tomatoes, bean liquid, tomato sauce, chili powder, sugar and salt, breaking up tomatoes. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 1 1/4 hours.

3. Stir in beans. Simmer uncovered about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until desired consistency.

Of course I have to garnish my chili with a little sour cream, a little jack cheese, and either a spoonful of homemade salsa or some fresh cilantro.

I guess depending on appetize and what else was being served I'd guess this would serve about 10 - 15 people.

lost chilie con carnie receipe

You sure can't ask "where's the beef?" on this one.
If you make it and like it let us know.
How many would this feed?
Dove 8)

LOL Dove - it does have a hunk of cow in it doesn't it? I added about how many it would serve - I'm not absolutely sure though. (hope you had a wonderful Sunday!) and GO PANTHERS!!

OT

unfortunately my Chiefs lost yesterday, so i can't join in the superbowl excitement. Go...whoever!!!

Actually, since we lost to the Colts, I hope they win it all just so i can say we had a good team but lost to the world champions.

Back
Top Bottom