"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 04-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
Everymom

Nothing went to waste either. If we were lucky enough to have a chicken dinner, the leftovers would be chicken a la king and the neck and carcass would be soup and stew. Mmmm. I still do that stuff.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
Senior Cook

We always had a big garden, so we always had canned tomatoes. My mom/dad put up (canned, jarred, frozen) all kinds of stuff. Some that come to mind are:
corn scraped from the cob
all kinds of peas
chow-chow
pickled okra
pickles
sour kraut
hominy

My dad was a good fisherman, so we also had fried fish about once a week. Chicken must have been cheap because I remember a lot of fried chicken and chicken and dumplings. My mother could make the best vegetable soup with just a ham bone and a few fresh veg's, and she always made real homemade french fries. Her cooking was labor intensive, but very inexpensive and very good.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
Master Chef

Lots of homemade spaghetti, salmon patties and goulash.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #14
Master Chef

while we weren't very budgeted, my Dad cooked tuna casserole for Lent (my Mum loves tuna noodle casserole!), sos with burger instead of chipped beef; ham, cabbage & potatoes, huge pots of sketti sauce that we froze in the old plastic hagan ice cream containers, chili, etcetera. my Gramps, rest his soul, taught my Pops most of his dishes from when i was younger.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
If we had a budget dish we never knew it was labeled as such. My mom cooked good, pretty basic recipes. "Good" was the only thing we focused on.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

i too was a navy brat. not much money. my dad always always planted a veggie garden. one duty station he even rented land to plant one. all kinds of good things, and we moaned about having to snap beans, etc. my dad was into fish before it became popular. most always a block of icy cod. i remember chicken,a lot, sos, salmon patties( is still make em) but always the goodness of fresh veg. and in the winter , we ate the canned ones, my mom had put up. later on she froze the extras, great eating in winter. absolutely no fast food. fried orka( yum) we ate very well for not a whole lot of money.
oh yes she did the powdered milk thing, mixed half real and half powdered. most of the desserts we had were fruit based. cobblers, pies, even cakes. yum. i miss it all.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #17
Senior Cook

We ate a lot of rice0roni when i was younger. We had a few different menus that rotated throughout the weeks and months. For instance we knew we'd have fried chicken and rice at least once a week or pork chops and mac and cheese. And on a special occasion or about once a month we'd order pizza. All of us got two slices each and some salad. We were taken care of, but never overendulgent.

We had a lot of staples on hand so trips to the grocery store, which can be expensive, were limited. We always had rice, tomato sauce, frozen meats etc cheap meals were easy to throw together.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by snack_pack85 View Post
We ate a lot of rice0roni when i was younger.
We thought rice-a-roni was a treat!!!! (just trying to keep you from being the "thread killer" ) But TRULY, rice-a-roni really WAS a treat...from San Francisco you know!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I remember lots of potato soup. I'm
just getting where I can eat it again.
We also had spaghetti and one of my
favorite comfort foods even today,
mostaccili (sp) pasta with canned
tomatoes that we would squish thru
our fingers and butter to finish the
sauce. Since my Mom had to work
and didn't always want to cook, she
would give us a dollar and send us
to the Mexican restaurant for a bean
burrito. No fast food around then....
Old 04-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

This is a difficult question to answer. Mom always cooked everything from scratch. There were no processed foods in the house ever, except for the occasional package of cookies or carton of ice cream.

We had roast chicken and pilaf every Sunday and the bones made stock for soup. I never had a can of soup as a child and when I finally did, I hated it.

Mom washed and reused aluminum foil and made soap. We made our own pickles.