5 Top Value Under $20 Piemonte Red Wines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:yum: Good Evening,

Here are 5 top value reds from D.O. Piemonte, Italia for $20 and under. I would truly enjoy hearing your favorite reds from Piemonte:

NAME OF WINE WINE SPECTATOR RATING TASTING NOTES
AND PRICE

1) Giacomo Borgogno 93 $20
and Figli 2007

Profoundly balanced with black cherry notes

2) Icardi Barbera D´Asti 90 $15
Tabaren 2008

Elegant red with cherry and
rasberry matices

3) Fratelli Oddero 2007 91 $ 20

Firm structure and balanced
with impressive post gusto ( after taste )

4) Cantine Valpane Barbera
del Monferrato Rosso 2006 90 $15

Blackberry, plum and spice aromas

5) Rivetto Nebbiolo
Langhe Lirano 2008 90 $18

This is a well balanced Red,
possessing licorise, smoke and ripe cherry
aromas.

Would enjoy hearing your faves from the Designation of Origin of Control ( DOC Piemonte :) ).

Have nice wkend.
Margi Cintrano.

@ Tax Lady: Piemonte is Piedmont in English

:) Good Morning Tax lady,

Firstly, the wines listed in this thread are exported to the USA.

Unfortunately, I am uncertain, if they are exported to Canada; and/or if they are only exported to Italian Restaurants and Trattorias verses wine shops / liquor stores.

Also, I am uncertain if your research had been done with Piemonte, which is Italian for the Province of Piedmont in English ...

Have nice wkend,
Thanks for feedback.
M.C. :)

:) Good Morning Tax lady,

Firstly, the wines listed in this thread are exported to the USA.

Unfortunately, I am uncertain, if they are exported to Canada; and/or if they are only exported to Italian Restaurants and Trattorias verses wine shops / liquor stores.

Also, I am uncertain if your research had been done with Piemonte, which is Italian for the Province of Piedmont in English ...

Have nice wkend,
Thanks for feedback.
M.C. :)

I searched for the specific wines in your list.

Tax Lady,

I do not believe they are exported to Canadian wine shops, perhaps just the restaurant / hotel trade ? And / Or, they are only sold in the USA.

Perhaps, if you are truly interested in Piedmont DOC wines, I would contact the Italian Wine Board in Montreal, or the Wine shops in Montreal, the Piedmont Trade Commission or Wine Advocate Magazine ... or the Wineries directly in Piedmont and ask them via email ...

Have nice Sunday.
Margi.

A lot of wines imported into the US only make it to "select" shops on one of the coasts. In the middle of the country, we may rarely see them.

Rather than specific wines, I often recommend that people look more for producers or importers who have a proven track record for quality.

For example, if I know someone is looking for a good wine from the Piemonte region, I'll steer them toward anything with Bruno Giacosa's name on the label. Giacosa, and his holdings like Falletto, have a reputation for consistently turning out excellent wines from vintage to vintage, though they aren't inexpensive.

One importer of wines from Italy (and many other places) I highly recommend is Leonardo Locascio of Winebow. He hand picks all of his imports and everything I've had with "Leonardo Locascio Selections" on the label has been very good, and often priced with value in mind. I've seen this label in many parts of the country, so distribution is good.

Though his focus tends to be more on France, Kermit Lynch is another importer with a stellar reputation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom