"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I bought 3 bottles and served it with Thanksgiving dinner.

Had more the other night with French Onion Soup.

All Gone!!!

Old 12-14-2010, 01:07 AM   #12
Flour Child

I had a taste tonight with eggplant parmesan (good paring btw) and it was quite good I thought. Very very light and a little fruity but not too much...just right

I read that it has no tannins but I don't know what that means exactly. I guess my dirty little secret is out now...I'm no wine connessieur...if I were then I'd probably be able to spell it (or did i)

And it said that it's best if you cool it slightly in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. I know, strange for reds but that's what it said.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
...I read that it has no tannins but I don't know what that means exactly...

Tannins are present in some wines. Tannins give wine an astringent quality that makes you want to pucker your lips. A wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon would typically be high in tannins.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #14
Senior Cook

A rose petal is a good example for tannin.
Hey Silversage which name(s) were they ?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I recall actually hearing about the release of Beaujolais Nouveau on the network news, but that was literally decades ago. Never have had the opportunity to sample any vintage. It doesn't get within 60 or so miles of the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp.
We are going to Va Beach this weekend. Maybe I will see if I can find a bottle or two
Old 12-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #16
Senior Cook

OK -I just have to ask where a place called the "Great Dismal Swamp" could be ? I will buy real estate in a place with a name like that because when the tourism and greens get it changed to "wetlands ecological reserve " or something catchy it will rock! It really isn't worth goeing out of you way for B N ,just want to hear if one brand was outstanding this year ,is all. Regards gage
Old 12-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #17
Master Chef

Georges DuBoeuf was always my favorite. But here we have a Nouveau festival (the Friday before Thanksgiving) and it is such fun. Who cares if the wine is great or not? Some years good, some so-so, but it is one heck of a party, and the restaurants all serve a beef beaujolais stew in a bread bowl and we all party.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
OK -I just have to ask where a place called the "Great Dismal Swamp" could be ? I will buy real estate in a place with a name like that because when the tourism and greens get it changed to "wetlands ecological reserve " or something catchy it will rock! It really isn't worth goeing out of you way for B N ,just want to hear if one brand was outstanding this year ,is all. Regards gage
The Great Dismal Swamp lies across the Virginia and North Carolina border.
It is bordered by Norfolk, Va on the north and Elizabeth City on the south.
Casa de Hoot is not far from the western side of the swamp in NC.
Most (if not all) of the swamp is already a National Wildlife Refuge that spans over 100,000 acres.
They say that George Washington surveyed most of the land in the 1700's.
In 1973, the company I used to work for donated nearly 50,000 acres and shortly thereafter it was declared a national wildlife refuge.
Not a bad place to live but it is out in the sticks.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #19
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Georges DuBoeuf was always my favorite. But here we have a Nouveau festival (the Friday before Thanksgiving) and it is such fun. Who cares if the wine is great or not? Some years good, some so-so, but it is one heck of a party, and the restaurants all serve a beef beaujolais stew in a bread bowl and we all party.
I tasted the wine again today it wasn't as quite good as yesterday (when I first opened it). Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm more discerning today. Is it possible it would go bad that quickly? Is it because I couldn't, try as I might, get the "cork" (not made of cork) back in so I covered it in saran wrap? Or maybe it's because I pared it with mexican quiche

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #20
Senior Cook

most wine tastes poorly after sitting open. saran wrap in the fridge is the better than nothing ,but the more air in the bottle the worse the remains fare.I usually don't open unless it is likely to be used within a few hours.