My wine won a gold medal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Being an amateur winemaker means that people sometimes view the fruits of your labor with a skeptical eye. But today I got news that a wine I entered in the Indy International Wine Competition (put on by Purdue University, and the largest independent competition in the US, with almost 3,000 entries) won a gold medal. What makes it even cooler is that amateur wines compete alongside commercial wines, and my little blend beat out other wines in the same category made by "big guys" like Chateau Ste. Michelle. :)

As some of my friends on the other side of the pond sometimes say, I'm totally chuffed!

This is my 2010 "Right Bank Blend", which is made from Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. It was aged for 12 months in a French oak barrel. The grapes came from the Rattlesnake Hills AVA in Washington state.

img_1170089_0_d08668eb3f889437fabc64854e5afe85.jpg

Whoaaa! Awesome, Steve!!!

Congrats, that is amazing!!! When can I expect my shipment?

Last edited:
Lest anyone thinks this was a fluke, Mr. Kroll has won a gold medal in this competition in each of the past three years' competitions! Not to mention a silver as well last year.

We have a real live vintner on board!

congrats, steve!

do you actually get a medal, or trophy, or something?
BT, they send you an actual medal, along with stickers saying "gold medal winner" that you can put on your bottles.

Unlike an Olympic medal, though, it only fits on the neck of a wine bottle, so I can't wear it around the neighborhood or anything like that. ;)

They look like this:

satek364_125718.jpg

Last edited:
that's really cool, steve.

maybe you could get some bigger, olympic-looking lanyards and wear them around like michael phelps. :D

i would tbink something like a lapel pin would be nice, to wear on a suit to wine functions.

hey, you earned the right to show it off.

bl**dy 'ell steve a legend in your own lifetime!! absolutely fantastic mate very very very well done!!
just so as you know i was on one knee while i was typing that,you da boss!!

Back
Top Bottom