"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 01-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
Cook

What's the deal with wine?

I've been trying to enjoy wine for a few years now (of course, since I turned 21... ;) ) but, with the possible exception of Lambrusco, I can't find a *real* red or white that doesn't completely disgust me (I suppose Arbor Mist doesn't count). I keep hearing about how wine is so fabulous when paired with the right foods, how it has all kinds of health benefits, how cooking with it can take a dish up a notch.. and I'd like to upgrade my dinner beverage from water, so can anyone give me a primer on good wines for a youngin' that hasn't developed a "palette" for it yet? And where does one go from there (i.e., how do you tell a good wine from a bad one if you feel like being adventurous/expensive and trying a vintage wine?)

Also - strange - recently at a liquor store that had a wine tasting one Friday night, I tried this pinot noir called "Hangtime"... in the store it was wonderful, much lighter than any other pinot I've tried, so I bought a bottle. Tried a glass at home and it was just horrible, couldn't even stomach getting a couple of sips down. Anybody know what gives?

Thanks in advance :)
Katie

Old 01-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Sous Chef

As a relatively recent wine drinker, I can relate to your question. It's definately an acquired taste, but well worth it. Try to stick with lighter wines (like Riesling) to start with.

As to the wine that was not as good as when you tasted it, I'm afraid that happens. Things like the temperature, how long it had been open and how much you had already drank can affect how the wine tastes.

I would also recommend the book ''Wine For Dummies''.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
Head Chef

I don't like dry wines or a strong wine. I had a glass a wine at a friend house that was really good. It comes in a 5 liter box with a pour spout - It is Peter Vella's White Zinfandel. The color is actually a dark pink even tho it says white. I have used it cooking to with good results.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I don't like dry wines or a strong wine. I had a glass a wine at a friend house that was really good. It comes in a 5 liter box with a pour spout - It is Peter Vella's White Zinfandel. The color is actually a dark pink even tho it says white. I have used it cooking to with good results.
White Zinfandel is a rose, not a white, and would be a great starter wine.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I can totally relate. I have a hard time enjoying most wines, especially reds. I can tolerate white zinfindel, reisling, and some other lighter sweeter wines. I have been to many wine tastings and I just cannot develop a taste for heavier or dryer wines.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
First, vintage does not go hand-in-hand with expensive. Most wines are vintage, with a few exceptions. It sounds like you simply haven't developed your palate yet...nothing wrong with that. Stick to either things like a Riesling or go to a wine shop where you can get some help. Tell them that you want a VERY fruit forward wine in maybe a pinot grigio or a chardonnay to start. Make sure the wine did NOT go through an oak fermentation process. You may like a Moscato d'Asti...it's an effervescent white wine from Italy with the sweetness that I think you like. Your palate will change over time...don't rush it. For starters try a more fruit forward red wine and add some tonic water. It will sweeten the wine and dilute the taste...spritzers may be a good way for you to ease into wine. You can do the same thing using a white wine. You can add an orange slice or a lemon/lime slice too. Good luck and let us know if any of the suggestions appeal to you or it's a total miss. We can go from there. Cheers!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
Head Chef

Jet --Yes I know this is a rose color thats what I was saying that even tho the label says white it isn't. Its pretty good. I pay for a 5 liter box $16.99. Its handy as I like my wines cold hand this is handy with the spout on it in the fridge,
Old 01-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
Sous Chef

That's VERY good advice from Kitchenelf!
Old 01-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
Jet --Yes I know this is a rose color thats what I was saying that even tho the label says white it isn't. Its pretty good.
They do the same thing with a white merlot, which is a rose wine as opposed to the usual red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
That's VERY good advice from Kitchenelf!
I agree whole heartedly with the Moscato d'Asti, but I cannot help but feel the mixed drinks are over-the-top.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
They do the same thing with a white merlot, which is a rose wine as opposed to the usual red.

I agree whole heartedly with the Moscato d'Asti, but I cannot help but feel the mixed drinks are over-the-top.
The part highlighted above...I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean mixing the wine with tonic and if so, what makes it "over-the-top." Sorry, I just need clarification, I guess.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote