"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 07-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to R Hill
I have a hard time with chefs that make food that's looks good but they really don't care what it taste like. It's like all show and no go. I can't remember one time someone said how great his cakes tasted. If I ever have a cake I want to blow up, I know who to call

Old 07-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Hill View Post
I have a hard time with chefs that make food that's looks good but they really don't care what it taste like. It's like all show and no go. I can't remember one time someone said how great his cakes tasted. If I ever have a cake I want to blow up, I know who to call
Actually, they DO care how their cakes taste. They have mentioned quite often their different flavours and I remember a couple of times where people mentioned they loved to eat Charm City Cakes cakes. One in particular was at the Elementary school in Hershey Pennsylvania where they did a huge chocolate bar and kisses to mark an anniversary of the school! The kids raved about it!

Remember, the business is Charm City Cakes and it goes way beyond what you see on "Ace of Cakes".

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to R Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Actually, they DO care how their cakes taste. They have mentioned quite often their different flavours and I remember a couple of times where people mentioned they loved to eat Charm City Cakes cakes. One in particular was at the Elementary school in Hershey Pennsylvania where they did a huge chocolate bar and kisses to mark an anniversary of the school! The kids raved about it!

Remember, the business is Charm City Cakes and it goes way beyond what you see on "Ace of Cakes".
Yes I understand that but, When they use Cisco to make the icing white instead of butter, only because butter is yellow is what I'm talking about. It's more about looks then taste, When I taste fondant It's taste closer to cardboard then butter cream. and It reminds me of a hound dog trying to get peanut butter off the roof of his mouth. It's pretty easy to fool a bunch of kids with sugar. Heck let's put a 5lb charge of C4 in a 5lb bag sugar and light it off that will be a big show
Old 07-06-2009, 11:10 PM   #14
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Yes I understand that but, When they use Cisco to make the icing white instead of butter, only because butter is yellow is what I'm talking about. It's more about looks then taste, When I taste fondant It's taste closer to cardboard then butter cream. and It reminds me of a hound dog trying to get peanut butter off the roof of his mouth. It's pretty easy to fool a bunch of kids with sugar. Heck let's put a 5lb charge of C4 in a 5lb bag sugar and light it off that will be a big show
Um, uh, I make cakes professionally as well and MY buttercream is half butter and half shortening and people rave about the taste as well as the looks. Sorry, I don't want to get into an argument about this so I will stop here.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Therewere time my mother used crisco and butter, to make an icing, she would add powdered sugar and then mashed fresh strawberries, my dad who would not eat frosting prefering just the cake loved her icing. So did the neighbors..Fondant, I love the stuff, smooth and the taste of my daughters wedding cake was excellent..I feel we each have likes and dislikes, who is to say my likes are wrong and theirs right? We like what we like, that does not make us the village wrong guy..Nor does it make you wrong for not liking it..just the difference in good people..I think this makes the world go round and interesting.
kadesma
Old 07-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #16
Head Chef

I learned how to make a butter cream with butter and shortening, I like the taste and texture. I freeze the flowers when I make them.
I learned Royal frosting, for dried out styrofoam cakes...to use a number of times...not to eat.
I never learned fondant for cakes...I think it's interesting but can't imagine really using it for cakes though I'm sure it 'can' be done...and done well. It's fun to watch though. They use fondant almost on every cake on that show.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

I love Ace of Cakes. I worked as a cake decorator for several months and although I never did anything as amazing as they do on the show, decorating cakes is an art and is so much fun to do. It's so much harder to do at home without a full stock of every decorating supply you could possibly need.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #18
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade View Post
I love Ace of Cakes. I worked as a cake decorator for several months and although I never did anything as amazing as they do on the show, decorating cakes is an art and is so much fun to do. It's so much harder to do at home without a full stock of every decorating supply you could possibly need.
There are many things you can do.
- find a cake supply shop in your area where you can rent pans so you don't have to own every shape.
- for a square wedding cake recently I used my one 12 inch square pan for the largest layer and a 10x15 rectangular pan for the 6, 8 and 10 inch tiers. I needed to cakes per tier so that meant less waste.
- As for piping supplies, I did not start out with a kit of tips. Instead, I bought an empty box, asked what the main ones I needed were and then just bought new ones as I needed them. They are individually inexpensive and I built up quite a collection in no time.
- I found buying a few couplers, and disposable bags in bulk, better than investing in reusable bags, though I do have several of them now.
- for colours, buy your basic paste or gel colours and check on the Wilton or other sites for ratios to mix them to make other colours - then they don't dry out when you keep buying a new colour or shade.
- I have found that online wholesalers, even with their shipping fees, are better for buying fondant. Some of their house brands are just as good (or better) than the popular brands and cheaper.

Hope that helps a bit.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
There are many things you can do.
- find a cake supply shop in your area where you can rent pans so you don't have to own every shape.
- for a square wedding cake recently I used my one 12 inch square pan for the largest layer and a 10x15 rectangular pan for the 6, 8 and 10 inch tiers. I needed to cakes per tier so that meant less waste.
- As for piping supplies, I did not start out with a kit of tips. Instead, I bought an empty box, asked what the main ones I needed were and then just bought new ones as I needed them. They are individually inexpensive and I built up quite a collection in no time.
- I found buying a few couplers, and disposable bags in bulk, better than investing in reusable bags, though I do have several of them now.
- for colours, buy your basic paste or gel colours and check on the Wilton or other sites for ratios to mix them to make other colours - then they don't dry out when you keep buying a new colour or shade.
- I have found that online wholesalers, even with their shipping fees, are better for buying fondant. Some of their house brands are just as good (or better) than the popular brands and cheaper.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for these tips! I will definitely take your advice.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:10 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

i love this show. my favorite was the lost episode