"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
...what's next? drinking in a new city every week for under $40 a day?

A bottle of Ripple and brown paper bag. Less than $40 a Day

Old 04-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
what's next? drinking in a new city every week for under $40 a day?
That's pretty much what he doe in "No Reservations -- Boston" which is going to be on this Monday night.

He did the Irish neighborhood thing and ate subs and drank.

He was at 2 places a block away from myhouse but I missed him. I would have run over with some of my books for him to sign. I think I've read them all.

I find him hysterical and incredibly witty.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #33
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
i changed the channel the other day when he had some kind of chicken from a street vendor and mentioned twice how perfectly cooked it was, and it was as good as he's ever had. out of all of the great restaurants he's been to, that was the best?
He has often said he has gotten better food at street vendors than fancy restaurants. I don't find that such an outrageous idea.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:03 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

agreed if you narrow your focus enough to believe a reality you think is real. lol, sorta kidding. do you really think a cart is equal to a restaurant? it could be, given factors of time and company, but that's a bit to be savoured be the individual. not that can be explained. not for tv, anyway.

i have to say i've watched.this season, as well as the previous seasons they've rebroadcast recently with increasing interest. largely because it always seems to me that the show is on air when i have the time to watch something, but also because of my strong statements in this thread. mind you, i'd be rooting for him as a local hero since he grew up just a few small towns away from where i did.

i have to say my opinion, professional as it may be with the fact that i watch more tv than almost anyone, plus that i know how many shows actually work, that mr. bourdain is a victim of bad editing, and bad post production. ya gotta remember a broadcast is what some after the fact decided was what their target demographic wanted to see.

i tried to look beyond that, beyond the alcoholism angle, which plainly harkens back to his old druggie days (for aurhenticity that he's baaaaad). to be honest, the cursing isn't out of the ordinary, and i realized much of his actual voice over input was that of a writer. hence his real successs. being a writer.

unfortunately, a writer on a reality show. not really a cooking/foodie show.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
do you really think a cart is equal to a restaurant?
I think it can be, yes. A cart does not have the same ambiance that a fancy restaurant does, but both have kitchens that put out food. I see no reason to believe a cart could not put out food as delicious as a regular restaurant. One of my favorite things to eat is a hot Italian sausage with grilled onions. A cart can do that just as well as a fancy restaurant. Why not? and I get to eat outside which to me is a plus
Old 05-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Bourdain

Ya gotta read his books! Have all except his novels. Will eventually read those also!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #37
Senior Cook

I like his travel show. I definitely do consider it a travel show with cooking, not a cooking show. He doesn't teach how to cook. Usually, I end up wishing I was at wherever he happens to be.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #38
Master Chef

Smile

Mr. Bourdain - along with his best bud, Chef Eric Ripert - is going to be in Charlottesville, VA, the end of October. I already have terrific 3rd row seats & CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #39
Master Chef

I loved kitchen confidential. I don't think I've read anything else by him. I usually like his shows, but agree they are travel and eating shows, not cooking. Sometimes his seemingly arrogant attitude gets to me, but on the other hand, he can be self-deprecating. And you can see some parts of travel to different cultures that other travel shows don't explore.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #40
Executive Chef

I agree, it's a travel show, but his books (I've read two,) have an unhealthy amount of foul language that I don't appreciate. I think I'll stick to the edited TV versions.

Tags
anthony bourdain, food network