"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 05-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #31
Head Chef

I saw Jeff Smith a couple of times down at Pike Place Market in Seattle.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:43 AM   #32
Head Chef

Supposedly, after having had much success with his show and books, Jeff Smith had assistants that accused him of pressuring them for other than things cooking related, to keep their jobs. They were no innocents.

As a cook with a TV show...he had entertaining opinions about cooking.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #33
Master Chef

Here you fellow Frug fans go - 6.5 hours on YouTube - about 53 5-10 minute segments:

30-sec commercial for Red Star Yeast

TFG show intro and a 10-minute segment

22 segments

29 segments

I didn't have time to watch each one so I don't know if there are any duplicates - and I couldn't tell you what each one is about ... but I do know his entire show in sauces is on there in 3 segments.

Happy viewing!
Old 05-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #34
Sous Chef

I sort of liked his personality on the TV, but I picked up one of his early books and it was a joke! I mean he had a recipe for hot chicken wings that had no hot ingredient in it? The book was filled with omissions like this and the index was messed up too. I started to lose respect for him.

THen I noticed one day on his show how he had to repeatedly refer to note cards for silliest things. I recall him actually looking down and having to remember "Oh yes and add salt and pepper." THis is from a note card!

I dunno it is possible that he may have had memory problems at that pt. or perhaps he was simply good at being an onstage presence but didnt have real command of the ingredients. As an onstage performer he certainly had that camera loved him feel..

He was open about being gay at least near the end. My gf at the time was doing food PR and visited him/SO at his home. He was joking about it when she left his house and as she was total stranger I guess he was open about it. Sorry to hear about the allegations.