"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #61
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonade View Post
(((((Applause)))))

Lee is fond of making "untrue food declarations" like the one about sliced mushrooms. Let me tell you where sliced mushrooms originate, Sandra. They are what's left after an employee of either the supermarket or the mushroom grower cuts off the ROTTEN pieces of mushrooms that were likely returned when they went past their date. So let's review. You're paying MORE for shrooms that are likely OLDER than the fresh, whole ones.

"chiffonade."
What an absolute totally inaccurate piece of "you-know-what" information. First & foremost, packaged sliced mushrooms AREN'T SLICED AT THE STORE (or the farm) FROM ROTTING PRODUCE. Good grief. They're commercially sliced & packaged FROM FRESH MUSHROOMS before being shipped to the stores.

Once AGAIN: I frequently purchase GORGEOUS FRESH PRISTINE sliced white button, cremini, portobello, & sometimes even shitake mushrooms that are not only the EXACT SAME PRICE as whole mushrooms, but are excellent quality, NOT rotten, & not treated with anything. I can purchase these sliced mushrooms at ANY of our local markets - WalMart, Giant, Safeway, Food Lion, etc., etc., etc. Virtually every single supermarket within driving distance.

I'm sorry that you're so bitter about what must be your own sad local store selections, but please don't imply that pre-sliced mushrooms are a horrible unhealthy overpriced choice to everyone across the board. Because, frankly, it's simply not true in any way, shape, or form.

I'm sorry, but it really burns me when people post generalizations that are so very obviously untrue & may sway folks away from an excellent product.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #62
Head Chef

Sometimes I get the sliced mushrooms on sale as they don't seem to have as long a shelf life. When they are getting a little brown, they have a more pronounced flavor, great for cooking.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #63
Sous Chef

That's the same with me Breezy. I have always had a good product when buying pre-sliced. And I have used the different varieties as well and all have been perfect.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #64
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
What an absolute totally inaccurate piece of "you-know-what" information. First & foremost, packaged sliced mushrooms AREN'T SLICED AT THE STORE (or the farm) FROM ROTTING PRODUCE. Good grief. They're commercially sliced & packaged FROM FRESH MUSHROOMS before being shipped to the stores.

Once AGAIN: I frequently purchase GORGEOUS FRESH PRISTINE sliced white button, cremini, portobello, & sometimes even shitake mushrooms that are not only the EXACT SAME PRICE as whole mushrooms, but are excellent quality, NOT rotten, & not treated with anything. I can purchase these sliced mushrooms at ANY of our local markets - WalMart, Giant, Safeway, Food Lion, etc., etc., etc. Virtually every single supermarket within driving distance.

I'm sorry that you're so bitter about what must be your own sad local store selections, but please don't imply that pre-sliced mushrooms are a horrible unhealthy overpriced choice to everyone across the board. Because, frankly, it's simply not true in any way, shape, or form.

I'm sorry, but it really burns me when people post generalizations that are so very obviously untrue & may sway folks away from an excellent product.
I am not generalizing and I am speaking of inside information. When I ran my little restaurant in Colorado, my purveyor shared this info with me - amongst others. Where do you think pre-made chocolate milk comes from? Returned milk that is re-processed and mixed with chocolate, then shipped to stores at (you guessed it) a higher price.

Hey, if you want to buy pre-sliced mushrooms, be my guest. ANYTHING is better than canned and if you need to take that short cut due to time constraints - no problem.

However, it's a known fact that those "assembled" packages of produce - assembled by the particular supermarket - are veggies trimmed of blemishes. I've never seen a package of sliced mushrooms that looked as firm and fresh as whole shrooms. This is hardly new information among those in professional circles. I've known too many people who work behind the scenes to operate any other way. If you want the freshest produce, buy whole whenever possible.

Finally, a gem from my father... to paraphrase: If you had a perfect mushroom, would you slice it to sell it??
Old 08-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #65
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Where do you think pre-made chocolate milk comes from? Returned milk that is re-processed and mixed with chocolate, then shipped to stores at (you guessed it) a higher price.
This is simply not true. Pre-made chocolate milk is a very popular product. Do you really think they could sustain their production waiting for returned milk? And if it were part returned and part fresh do you think people would not notice that sometimes the milk is good and sometimes the milk is bad? Whoever gave you that information was either testing how gullible you are or was just flat out lying to you.

Quote:
However, it's a known fact that those "assembled" packages of produce - assembled by the particular supermarket - are veggies trimmed of blemishes.
Sorry, but again this is wrong. It is not a known fact just because you say it is so. As others here have said, the pre-cut produce they have bought is as fresh and beautiful and the whole produce they buy.
Quote:
Finally, a gem from my father... to paraphrase: If you had a perfect mushroom, would you slice it to sell it??
Yes I would if that is what my customers wanted. Why would I not slice it if that is where the demand was?
Old 08-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #66
Master Chef

pre-cut veggies usuallly look as appealing, if not more, than regular veggies, cause that 's what a per-cut veggie is- normal!
Old 08-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #67
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Anyone has a right to disagree but don't try to discredit my information. My father worked FOR A DAIRY and like I've said before, I got valuable information AND advice from my purveyor.

Whoever wants to used the sliced stuff, go right ahead. If you want to drink the pre-made chocolate milk in stores, be my guest. I guess you don't want to hear that chicken salad made by supermarkets (not distributed, MADE) is leftover rotisserie chicken and whatever produce needs to be used.

It's funny how different people react to different things. I was so grateful to have the information shared with me by professionals! Like the Italians say, "Sauseech his own."
Old 08-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #68
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Anyone has a right to disagree but don't try to discredit my information.
Quote:
It's funny how different people react to different things. I was so grateful to have the information shared with me by professionals!
Please do not try to act like you are the only person here who has gotten information from professionals or even are professionals themselves.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #69
Cook

Absolutely not - I know people get information from wherever they get it. I'm sharing what I know to be true. It's been true for years. I keep trying to explain that people can choose to do whatever they want but full disclosure is always nice. If you shop at a supermarket that you trust, you can buy whatever prepared things you like. I choose to process and use the information I've received about prepared products and I avoid them. That's just me.

Geez, I wonder if Anthony Bordain got this much friction when he wrote Kitchen Confidential.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #70
Chief Eating Officer

By saying things like "It is a known fact" and I'm sharing what I know to be true. It's been true for years" you are basically saying that what everyone else is saying is wrong. Feel free to have and share your opinion, but please respect other peoples opinions and understand that just because someone gave you some information that does not mean that others agree with that information or even think it true. You can choose to trust those people. Others will choose to trust the info they have. What is true for one is not necessarily true for another.

Anthony Bordain did not try to tell people that the things he witnessed happened everywhere throughout the industry. He spoke of his experiences and the places he worked and the things he saw. He spoke of first hand knowledge, not second hand or further down the ladder knowledge. If you want to say that the pre-sliced veggies that you have seen in the supermarket are of inferior quality because you have first hand knowledge that they take rotten veggies and cut off the bad parts then go for it. No one would say boo to that. But to claim that this is the industry standard when other people have told you they have experienced otherwise is a bit much don't you think?