"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-06-2008, 11:32 PM   #11
Master Chef

I can see how this might work and be practical in a restaurant setting - but questionable as far as any significant benefit at home. These are my thoughts on this:

As Andy M. noted - it appears that this would be steamed in the foil - giving a tender and moist breast. And, as quicksilver noted - it would not add any flavor since the steam would retard any browning.

The advantage here appears to be a saving of time. Braised or simmered (about 200F) a 3-3.5 lb turkey breast would take about 1 hour, roasted at 350F about 45 minutes. fried in oil at 350F about 15-20 minutes (based on the two time formulas I found. one said (3 mins. X weight in lbs) + 5 minutes ... the other was 4-5 mins per lb. - they both come out about the same)

The reason the same rolled breast cooks in about 1/2 the time in the fryer than in the oven is because of thermal density and conductivity. You can reach into a 350F oven without getting burned - but you wouldn't think of putting your hand into a pot of 350F oil although it is the same temperature!

I can see where in a restaurant setting, where the fryer is ready and up to temp, it would be a quick cooking method. At home - I think it would not save enough cooking time to make it worth the time and effort to set up, heat the oil, cool the oil, store and clean up.

I'm with kadesma and others who would use the oven even if it requires a longer cooking time.

One other home option that might give comperable results to the not-fried fryer method would be to use a pressure cooker.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post

The advantage here appears to be a saving of time. Braised or simmered (about 200F) a 3-3.5 lb turkey breast would take about 1 hour, roasted at 350F about 45 minutes. fried in oil at 350F about 15-20 minutes (based on the two time formulas I found. one said (3 mins. X weight in lbs) + 5 minutes ... the other was 4-5 mins per lb. - they both come out about the same)
Do not forget that you need to take into account how long it takes to heat up that amount of oil to frying temp. Of course you need to take into account the time to heat the oven as well so the time savings are still there for frying I am sure, but you can't just look at cooking time alone.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I think it might be that the oil gets a lot hotter than poaching it in water and that it is a moist heat rather than the dry heat of the oven - that would be my guess anyway.

Personally a nicely roasted whole turkey would do the job (and a lot of others as well).
Old 10-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
and that it is a moist heat rather than the dry heat of the oven
If the turkey is triple wrapped in foil though then it is not moist heat vs. dry heat and the meat is not in contact with the oil or the air in the oven. It is essentially steaming in both scenarios. The only difference would be the temperature.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

In a restaurant environment, where this was presented, the oil is always hot. That's why this method is used. For the home cook, it's really not special.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:31 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Almost Fried Turkey

I too saw this episode of Diners Drive-Ins and Dives and the turkey looked really good. I think I have it on my DVR also. I am sure everyone is correct about it steaming in the foil. The guy said that his brother or brother-in-law taught it to him. I would really love to try this. Has anyone tried another method like doing it in the oven or poaching it in water or whatever,
Old 10-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostera View Post
I too saw this episode of Diners Drive-Ins and Dives and the turkey looked really good. I think I have it on my DVR also. I am sure everyone is correct about it steaming in the foil. The guy said that his brother or brother-in-law taught it to him. I would really love to try this. Has anyone tried another method like doing it in the oven or poaching it in water or whatever,
Yeah: wet smoke 'em. OOOpppsss, maybe the wrong forum. But a smoked, wet smoked roasted turkey is from heaven.
Chau, Marty

Tags
None