"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 12-07-2006, 07:46 PM   #11
OK, I did this tonight. Marinated the chicken breasts a bit first, then did them in the frying pan and poured the sauce over them in a casserole and let them bake for awhile. Served over rice and with a nice green salad. It was lovely Allen. I think next time I'm going to amp it up with some chiles. And maybe a little bit of molasses to deepen the flavour. This gets a 4 out of 5 stars at our place.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Alix just told me she made this - I am ripping this page out right now and filing it!

Next chicken dish will be this! I'll pound out the chicken and do that way if I use boneless, skinless - otherwise I'll brown and bake or brown and cover.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:52 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
At my house we call this "oven" bbq chicken...you can use your favorite commercial bbq sauce or make your own as Allen's recipe does...

In season slice a couple of Vidalia onions on top...several shots of hot sauce or Tabasco and you are good to go....

Oh...the Jim Beam...serve it over ice... sip slowly...while the bird cooks.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:59 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Prepared using Garlic powder in place of actual garlic (yes, yes... gasp, 'heathen' and all that... but I have a big economy size jar of the stuff, and I'll use what I got before I buy more). Used 2 tsp of garlic, and I think that might have been just at tad understated, but was still yum.

I also used a little extra lemon juice when I pan-browned the chicken, so there was a bit more lemon flavor. I then simmered the chicken in the sauce for about 10 minutes (I'm not a big fan of alcohol, so I wanted as much out as possible, and I also like my sauce pretty thick). This is DEFINATELY getting in my "what to cook" list.
Into the fires of forever, we will fly through the heavens, With the power of the universe we stand strong together
Through the forcing of power, we will soon reach the hour, For victory we ride, Fury of the Storm!
VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:20 PM   #15
Sous Chef
Sounds great, gonna try it soon, thanks for posting!
"wok-a wok-a"
BBQ Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:37 PM   #16
Does this have a big alcohol taste?
mackeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:11 PM   #17
Head Chef
Golden Corral has Bourbon St Chicken on there buffet every day and they tell me they season with a proprietary seasoning and grill when almost done they give it a liberal shot of Teriyaki sauce and finish grilling, it is very good but no bourbon, and it realy stick's up the grill >:-(((((((nasty. yours sound good I am going to tryall though I am not a big fan of dead bird.
Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:13 AM   #18
Senior Cook
Mackeeg: I don't drink alcohol very often (we're talking almost never, though I do cook with beer and such occasionally), so I'm fairly sensitive to the taste. The "raw" sauce had a pretty noticeable (for me) alcohol taste, but wasn't actively unpleasant either. It's really just a matter of getting the alcohol out. You figure you've got just under a half cup of pure alcohol (90 proof bourbon) diluted in almost two and a half cups of other liquid ingredients (counting the sugar as liquid, brings the raw alcohol content down to about 20%). Cooking that for a while will drop it a lot, as alcohol has a much lower vaporization point than water and is probably the first to go.

After simmering (uncovered) as long as it did, almost all of the alcohol had evaporated, but left behind the other flavors from the bourbon, I didn't notice much of an alcohol taste at all. I'm sure someone less sensitive to it wouldn't have noticed a thing.

Planning on making this again soon.
VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer
Vaportrail, simmering the sauce for 10 minutes is not really removing much of the alcohol at all. Check out this chart to see what I mean.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #20
Sous Chef
Where I live we have a nite club called "Bourbon Street" LOL :D

Rom is offline   Reply With Quote