"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kingsville texas, south of c.c.
Posts: 108
Chicken, pork or rabbit, one pot meal

Well, I am new here, but since it is my 63rd birthday, and I have been in the iron game for about 42 years[no, not trains!] I thought some of my ideas would be useful to folks.

This first post is about a simple recipe that will work with chicken, pork or rabbit. Yes, we ate the easter bunny, [visualize evil laughter here]. I am using chicken today, but substitute if you like. A split chicken [free range]one half here is thawed. Meanwhile I slice 1015 sweet onion, mushroom, criminis if possible, bell pepper and saute in butter. Here substitute whatever if you like. When this stuff is nicely done, I have disks of yukon gold potatoes on the bottom of a throwaway foil pan. Season the chicken, I assume all of you know how to do this = to your own taste. I learned from a jewish lady to always lay a bird belly down = it works! [In this case since I use a half chicken, then it is on its side] Pile the onions, mushrooms and bell pepper on top of the 1/2 chicken. The chicken back acts as a bit of a bowl and holds the buttered veggies. The bird is cooked in indirect heat,[two burner grill, bird on unheated side] in our south texas heat and humidity, we mostly cook on the gas grill outside. Now for anyone who is confused, the chicken is cooked low and slow, what temperature? I will assume some intelligence on your part. I specialize in lazy man's cooking, however I really like good taste. Have fun.

__________________

__________________
pmeheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Head Chef
 
sparrowgrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Highest point in Missouri
Posts: 1,794
Looks good to me--nothin' wrong with lazy!
__________________

__________________
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeheran View Post
Well, I am new here, but since it is my 63rd birthday, and I have been in the iron game for about 42 years[no, not trains!] I thought some of my ideas would be useful to folks.

This first post is about a simple recipe that will work with chicken, pork or rabbit. Yes, we ate the easter bunny, [visualize evil laughter here]. I am using chicken today, but substitute if you like. A split chicken [free range]one half here is thawed. Meanwhile I slice 1015 sweet onion, mushroom, criminis if possible, bell pepper and saute in butter. Here substitute whatever if you like. When this stuff is nicely done, I have disks of yukon gold potatoes on the bottom of a throwaway foil pan. Season the chicken, I assume all of you know how to do this = to your own taste. I learned from a jewish lady to always lay a bird belly down = it works! [In this case since I use a half chicken, then it is on its side] Pile the onions, mushrooms and bell pepper on top of the 1/2 chicken. The chicken back acts as a bit of a bowl and holds the buttered veggies. The bird is cooked in indirect heat,[two burner grill, bird on unheated side] in our south texas heat and humidity, we mostly cook on the gas grill outside. Now for anyone who is confused, the chicken is cooked low and slow, what temperature? I will assume some intelligence on your part. I specialize in lazy man's cooking, however I really like good taste. Have fun.

Hi, pmeheran. Does this end up like a braised chicken?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kingsville texas, south of c.c.
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Hi, pmeheran. Does this end up like a braised chicken?
Yes, it does, but you can modify. The advantage to piling all the mushrooms, sweet onion and bell pepper on top is not only that it moistens the chicken, but if someone does not like one or all of the stuff on top, it can be scraped away. Remember, the potatoes are underneath and separate.
__________________
pmeheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeheran View Post
Yes, it does, but you can modify. The advantage to piling all the mushrooms, sweet onion and bell pepper on top is not only that it moistens the chicken, but if someone does not like one or all of the stuff on top, it can be scraped away. Remember, the potatoes are underneath and separate.
The dish sound tasty. I was just thinking some people expect chicken on the grill to have a nice brown crispy skin. Not being critical of your recipe. Just wanted to be sure I understood.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kingsville texas, south of c.c.
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The dish sound tasty. I was just thinking some people expect chicken on the grill to have a nice brown crispy skin. Not being critical of your recipe. Just wanted to be sure I understood.
Maybe you are just reading too quickly. Since it it is in a pan and has liquid around it, it will be braised not grilled. I put it on the unheated side to control the rate of cooking better. I cook most of the year outside on the grill because our south texas climate is abominably hot and humid and last but not least it costs too much to air condition while cooking. For example Dallas is 479 miles north east of us.
__________________
pmeheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeheran View Post
Maybe you are just reading too quickly. Since it it is in a pan and has liquid around it, it will be braised not grilled...

I did understand that. What I was trying to say is that people expect foods cooked on a grill to be crispy and browned, not braised.

Really the difference is that you're using a gas grill as an outdoor oven. I've done that too. Nothing wrong with it. Makes sense not to heat up the house any more than you have to.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chicken, pork, recipe

Chicken, pork or rabbit, one pot meal Well, I am new here, but since it is my 63rd birthday, and I have been in the iron game for about 42 years[no, not trains!] I thought some of my ideas would be useful to folks. This first post is about a simple recipe that will work with chicken, pork or rabbit. Yes, we ate the easter bunny, [visualize evil laughter here]. I am using chicken today, but substitute if you like. A split chicken [free range]one half here is thawed. Meanwhile I slice 1015 sweet onion, mushroom, criminis if possible, bell pepper and saute in butter. Here substitute whatever if you like. When this stuff is nicely done, I have disks of yukon gold potatoes on the bottom of a throwaway foil pan. Season the chicken, I assume all of you know how to do this = to your own taste. I learned from a jewish lady to always lay a bird belly down = it works! [In this case since I use a half chicken, then it is on its side] Pile the onions, mushrooms and bell pepper on top of the 1/2 chicken. The chicken back acts as a bit of a bowl and holds the buttered veggies. The bird is cooked in indirect heat,[two burner grill, bird on unheated side] in our south texas heat and humidity, we mostly cook on the gas grill outside. Now for anyone who is confused, the chicken is cooked low and slow, what temperature? I will assume some intelligence on your part. I specialize in lazy man's cooking, however I really like good taste. Have fun. 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.