"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #61
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
That's freezing for most of us here in SoCal.
I prefer to use the kitchen gas grill when it's freezing outside.
I know for me it is! Although we get down to the mid 20's here, and sometimes I still grill outside.
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #62
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,319
Kayelle....those wings looks fantastic...I love the little charred bits. It's tempting to pull them off and munch on them before they even hit the plate.
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #63
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I know for me it is! Although we get down to the mid 20's here, and sometimes I still grill outside.
Believe me, if we did not have an indoor grill I'd be grilling outdoors no matter what...
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #64
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I was thinking more like below freezing.

My grill is on my deck right outside the slider in the dining area so it's easy for me to pop in and out to flip or turn something and go right back in.
Typically, my Webber Kettle is in the middle of my front yard. I keep a path shoveled to it, and a windbreak made of snow just west of it. I keep a circle cleared of snow all the way around, even when the snow is three to four feet deep. I've been known to grill in the middle of a snow storm, when the temps drop into the low teens. Below that, the grill won't stay hot enough to cook properly, even with the lid on. I've posted pictures in past years of grilling in a snow storm. I look like the abominable snow-man.

And for you cold-challenged types, after a cold winter, you often see college students start sunning themselves in bikinis, on dorm roofs when the temps rise to the mid forties. I swim in 62 degree water.

You get used to the cold. I never got used to the extreme heat of Southern Cal. Above 80, I get very uncomfortable with the heat.s DW thinks I'm nuts. But then again, she's a San Diego (actually, El Cajon) girl.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #65
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Typically, my Webber Kettle is in the middle of my front yard. I keep a path shoveled to it, and a windbreak made of snow just west of it. I keep a circle cleared of snow all the way around, even when the snow is three to four feet deep. I've been known to grill in the middle of a snow storm, when the temps drop into the low teens. Below that, the grill won't stay hot enough to cook properly, even with the lid on. I've posted pictures in past years of grilling in a snow storm. I look like the abominable snow-man.

And for you cold-challenged types, after a cold winter, you often see college students start sunning themselves in bikinis, on dorm roofs when the temps rise to the mid forties. I swim in 62 degree water.

You get used to the cold. I never got used to the extreme heat of Southern Cal. Above 80, I get very uncomfortable with the heat.s DW thinks I'm nuts. But then again, she's a San Diego (actually, El Cajon) girl.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
And that is in June...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #66
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
We can easily spot tourists from the mid west who visit LA during the winter here. They're all in shorts and tees....LOL
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #67
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I prefer grilling to roasting by a wide margin but sometimes it's too cold to go out to the grill.
As do I. And it does not have to be very cold for me to use my oven instead.
At home, even in warm weather, we deep fry our Buffalo wings.
Traditional is my favorite way. Grilling comes in at a distant second place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Believe me, if we did not have an indoor grill I'd be grilling outdoors no matter what...
I just cannot do it in cold weather. Grilling that is.
My grills and smokers most likely will never be used again until spring.
We are in the south, but in the foothills.
We had snow flurries last night and it gets cold here. Very cold. Low 20's last night.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #68
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,387
My deep fryer died last winter. I'm hesitant to get a new one.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #69
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
As do I. And it does not have to be very cold for me to use my oven instead.
At home, even in warm weather, we deep fry our Buffalo wings.
Traditional is my favorite way. Grilling comes in at a distant second place.



I just cannot do it in cold weather. Grilling that is.
My grills and smokers most likely will never be used again until spring.
We are in the south, but in the foothills.
We had snow flurries last night and it gets cold here. Very cold. Low 20's last night.
DW will tell ya, low twenties isn't cold to me. It's just mildly chilly. I don't start feeling the cold until the temps drop below ten degrees F., or so. A brisk, snowy wind with temps in the upper teens can feel cold as sell, but not if I'm dressed for it, you know, light jacket and tuke, and a pair of leather gloves.

When I was in my upper teens, and in Judo class, I'd get all hot and sweaty, open the gym door, and stand out in the snow in my bare feet, with nothing on from the neck to the waist, ans stand there for several minutes to cool down. I weighed in at less than 100 lbs. back then, and so I know it wasn't body fat insulating me. I just have always had a hot metabolism. My dad was the same way. But just as it makes winter more enjoyable, it makes hot summers miserable for me. I'd rather be comfortable in both. But you just have to live with what you're given.

Tonight, I've been given a mini blizzard, with temps in the teens. I'm going to go home and have to shovel just to park the car in my driveway. 5 p.m.. has come, and work isn't over yet. I won't get paid for what I do when I get home though, except for the benefits I'll get from the rigorous exercise of shoveling lots of snow, for better than an hour.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I was thinking more like below freezing.

My grill is on my deck right outside the slider in the dining area so it's easy for me to pop in and out to flip or turn something and go right back in.
So put a coat rack right next to the door so you can grab it every time you go out there to check on your food.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chicken, chicken wings

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.