"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac

Okay, I haven't done mine yet (will tomorrow) so I didn't look at your recipes.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Farina = Cream of wheat? elaborate for me plz?

Old 02-15-2009, 02:34 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeonW View Post
Farina = Cream of wheat? elaborate for me plz?
Think of corn meal, but made of wheat. The texture is a little grainy, but when cooked, is smooth, like tiny tapioca balls, slightly sweet, and warms you to your bones.

Added in its uncooked state to a flour mixture, then fried in oil, it develops a softer crunch than does corn meal, which can be too crunchy at times. The farina blends with the flour to create a lightly crunchy texture, without altering other flavors. It's in there for its texture.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
Master Chef

ok, I'm giving you gramma Fischer's recipe.........kill the chicken and pluck it.....ok skip this part..........(but that's what she did on a Saturday).........brine the chicken......that means to cut it up into pieces and soak in salt water for several hours......she'd do it before Sunday mass.........come home roll the pieces in flour that had been spiced with salt and pepper/////probably a teaspoon salt or so to 1/4 tsp pepper.........that's it......and then fry in oil........she put Col. Sanders to shame.......
Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #15
Master Chef

Ok, so who's gonna try out the recipes? And we need more than just the two I posted, and Expat's Grandmother's. C'mon everyone. It's time to step up and shine. We can do it better than the Colonel. I know we can. We have a bunhc of talent around here.

Ok, so one of you who admit to not being great at frying chicken. You could test the recipes and let us know who hard or easy it was for you to follow it, and what kind of relults you got. That would be a great test for you and those who post recipes.

We need to show what we can do. So who's next? Who's gonna step up and be counted?

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

GW...I'm gonna try your recipe Number 1 next time I fry chicken.....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Something tell me that you changed more than KFC. It's not all that good once you know what is.

I would have to disagree. KFC does not make their chicken the same way they used to. If you look at this commercial from 1969, the chicken looks completely different from the breaded looking junk they sell today. The old chicken had a light coating of flour and was cooked to a darker color.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
Cook

Hi. I am very interested in the outcome of this. I will definitely try it, but it wont be in the next couple of days. Maybe in the next week or ten days, however. I may have to ask for a couple of pointers, though; while I am moderately competent at several things, I am almost completely ignorant about frying chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Ok, so who's gonna try out the recipes? And we need more than just the two I posted, and Expat's Grandmother's. C'mon everyone. It's time to step up and shine. We can do it better than the Colonel. I know we can. We have a bunhc of talent around here.

Ok, so one of you who admit to not being great at frying chicken. You could test the recipes and let us know who hard or easy it was for you to follow it, and what kind of relults you got. That would be a great test for you and those who post recipes.

We need to show what we can do. So who's next? Who's gonna step up and be counted?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #19
Cook

I have to agree with you. I have not had it a lot, but I usually have a good memory as concerning food, and it is my belief that what I have had in the last few years has not been the same as what I had as a child or when I was in college. It was quite good then, I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedagive View Post
I would have to disagree. KFC does not make their chicken the same way they used to. If you look at this commercial from 1969, the chicken looks completely different from the breaded looking junk they sell today. The old chicken had a light coating of flour and was cooked to a darker color.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Think I will try the Bulldog recipe tonight....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None