Easiest chicken recipe on planet earth...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil

Senior Cook
Years ago while working in the yard, I needed to get the chicken started. Remembering what we did to smoke the thanksgiving turkey, I heavily salted chicken parts, thighs, drumsticks, and split breasts, (leave the skin on, it's importatnt.) I started the gas grill on high. When hot, I turned it down to low and placed the chicken on the grill, dropped the cover, then proceeded to mow the lawn. I turned the chicken often until it was golden brown. That's it. Salt, chicken, and grill on low. It is fantastic. The salt on the skin creates it's own browning bag. I simply discard the skin and eat. Don't worry about salting the unskinned parts of the thigh or the breast. It won't be overly salty. I have used this method on a Webber, also. The temp is much hotter, but I turn them often and keep them covered. It's the only way I grill chicken.

Last edited:
I had chicken that was similar to this years ago in Portugal, it was excellent (as were ribs cooked much the same way). Too bad we don't have a BBQ, I'd like to try your recipe out :)

Jessica...
we have a bbq you can use.
Just hop on a jet and come on
over! lol.

It does sound good. I can't wait
for Paul to take out the bbq this spring.

That's what most say....

sattie said:
Almost toooooo easy, I am afraid I will muck it up!!!! Ha ha! :-p
....and they never try it because it is so simple. People think, as I used to, that you had to add a sauce, lemon, garlic, and so forth. While all of that is really good, this is soooooo good, it's silly. And, you live in Texas, too. We cook out 365 days a year. I love it.

Phil

Oh, I would try it.... don't get me wrong there. I have found that "simplicity" often goes hand in hand with great cooking!!!! We have a fire ban right now so grilling out will get me a citation. But it is on my list of things to try!!!

I'm just east of you....

sattie said:
Oh, I would try it.... don't get me wrong there. I have found that "simplicity" often goes hand in hand with great cooking!!!! We have a fire ban right now so grilling out will get me a citation. But it is on my list of things to try!!!
....we can't grill under the fire ban? Are you sure we are restricted from BBQ grills? If so, I'm in a heap of trouble.

Watauga

At least for Watauga. The public grills at our parks, they are covered with black plastic with police tape wrapped around them. I noticed a sign last night at the park which said "Burn Ban in Effect". As much as I like to grill... I am only 1/4 mile away from the police station... knowing my luck, they would smell my grill and be at my house within minutes!!! Yikes!

I think you're safe at home, Sattie

sattie said:
At least for Watauga. The public grills at our parks, they are covered with black plastic with police tape wrapped around them. I noticed a sign last night at the park which said "Burn Ban in Effect". As much as I like to grill... I am only 1/4 mile away from the police station... knowing my luck, they would smell my grill and be at my house within minutes!!! Yikes!

...but I can understand the burn ban in the parks. People are idiots in a crowd. Just look at traffic!!!

Dude....

Phil, I am with ya on that one (traffic that is). I might have to follow up on the grill ban. I have not grilled in months because of this burn ban and I do miss my grilled foods!!!!:cry:

Keep your DAY JOB

:LOL: :LOL:
Folks, here in North Texas, we are borderline drought. Last night we had, at my house and I'm only 40 miles east of Sattie, I had 4.5 blessed inches of rain. The jokes on us, Sattie. It's now too wet to grill :-p

Ha!

:LOL:

Yea... think you are right Phil. I think it rained all night! I hope this will get us out of the "burn ban".

On that chicken... do you just coat it with salt? You use table or kosher salt? Just curious, because I am going to try this the first chance I get.

I do use kosher

sattie said:
:LOL:

Yea... think you are right Phil. I think it rained all night! I hope this will get us out of the "burn ban".

On that chicken... do you just coat it with salt? You use table or kosher salt? Just curious, because I am going to try this the first chance I get.
...but not on the chicken. I have a commercial salt shaker, one with a thousand holes, and liberally salt all sides, even a thigh. They have skin on one side, but I salt the meat side, too. Never has any been too salty. After all, I discard the skin before I dig in.

Gonna Give it a Whirl

Phil... gonna give it a whirl.... I will report back and let you know how it turned out. I am lacking the commercial grade salt shaker, but it will give my hubby something to do for a while! :mrgreen:

Your technique is similar to creating a salt encasing on a standing rib roast. After the meat is cooked, the salt-crust is simply peeled away.

Another very easy grilling method is to simply remove the skin befor cooking, rub a bit of oil or butter all over the chicken, and lightly season with S & P. Then you place the chicken directly over a solid bed of coals on the Webber, or onto the gas grill, cover, and cook for about 5 minutes per sidem making sure the juices run clear and that there is no pink. It is tender, tasty, and so juicy it will squirt you when you bite it.

Of course, if you like crispy skin, do the same thing with the skin on. I've been doing that for years.

And just one more thing, if you have folks in your crew that love sauces, glazes, etc. You merely brush on the sauce/glaze as soon as you remove the cooked chicken from the grill, and before it's presented at the table. You will find that the meat has picked up a better smoky flavor than if the coating was put on while the chicken was cooking. It will taste better.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

It's good alright, Goodweed....

Right now, in Dallas, it's warm. We had a 93 degree day last week. I grill year 'round anyway, but last night was the grilled chicken thing, and it was super. If I leave the skin on, which I do most of the time, I never use a sauce. Sometimes I'll remove the skin about five minutes before it's done and slather on some Q sauce and grill a little longer. Either way, it's great grillin'.

Phill, when it's 7 degrees outside at my house, it's still grillin' time. I have a 6 foot bank of snow on the west side of hte barbecue space in my front yard (with 3 feet of snow circling all around the grill space that I keep clear of snow). The bank shelters me from the prevailing west-wind and any blowing snow that might be cuising sideways through the air. I've been known to barbecue a turkey in such weather.:cool:

The only weather that will stop my Webber is a downpour. I'm not going to try and grill when the weather is putting out the fire.:ROFLMAO:

And, I agree whole-heartedly with your cooking style.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Cold is one thing....

...and wet is a whole nuther can o' worms. You folks from the north are much more used to it than us Suth-ners are. We do have bitter cold, but it lasts only a day or two. Y'all have my respect.

Back
Top Bottom