Game Hens and currant sauce TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Like game hens? we do:) The currant sauce is so good you hate to stop eating. Take 4 hens and stuff with stuffing I sometime make a wild rice stuffing Now rub the skin of the hens with soft butter and finly shopped herbs of choice, I like parsley, marjoram, some thyme or tarragon. Bake at 350 for 1/2 half hour then baste every 15 min with the currant sauce til hens have roasted fir 1-1/2 hrs.
Currant sauce: Melt 1 tab. butter add 1/2 cup currant jely and 2 tab. lemon juice After jelly has melted add 1/4 cup cider vinegar, 1 Tab. cornstarch 1-tea salt and3 whole cloves Cook til thickned. serve with the stuffing, brown butter brussels sprouts, green salad with tomatoes, red onion slices, avocado and butter lettuc
kadesma:)

sounds yummy. wish i had some currant jelly. have game hen. oh well , gotta cook it tomorrow and am to busy sewing to go shopping. next time for sure
Babe I'd bet just about any jam or jelly would work. I'd be tempted to try strawberry, or orange marmalade and see what happens.
kades

I've used a combination of apricot preserves mixed with a splash of Sweet French Dressing or Catalina Dressing as a game hen or regular baked chicken thighs sauce/glaze. I'm normally not an apricot fan, but in this instance it's been a real hit among guests!

I've used a combination of apricot preserves mixed with a splash of Sweet French Dressing or Catalina Dressing as a game hen or regular baked chicken thighs sauce/glaze. I'm normally not an apricot fan, but in this instance it's been a real hit among guests!
Selkie, I love apricots will give this a try and thanks.
kades:)

i was thinking that, will check my jam supply. i do have brand new jar of raspberry jelly. do you think that might work. i think so.:chef:
Babe that should be yummy. I'll have to try it myself.
kades:)

I don't know about the raspberry, but the strawberry certainly sounds good!

Back
Top Bottom