"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
Tried to edit that again but ran out of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
If i were to roast at 425f, I would over brown before it was done.
I do apply oil or butter to the skin before highly seasoning it.
I haven't buttered or basted in years and I'm a crispy skin fiend My mom and I both love picking at crispy bits of turkey, sneaking just one more as it rests. And I'm a firm believer that crispy chicken skin goes bad overnight. It must be eaten fresh right away
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #22
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I get very crispy skin and very nice color at 350f. I have checked my oven temp to be certain and it was spot on. If i were to roast at 425f, I would over brown before it was done.
I do apply oil or butter to the skin before highly seasoning it.

That 6 pound bird at 350 would take about 1.5 hours.
RB, if you've never done it at 425f how do you know? I've done it your way and so I know for sure I produce a better bird at 425F.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #23
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,326
Beautiful looking bird, Kay. Another fan of high(er) heat roasting here, too. I must have crispy skin on my roast chickens.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #24
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Kayelle doesn't get that result, and neither do I. Why do you think you would?

Trust me, you're wasting time and money by applying oil or butter. As the chicken cooks, the fat under the skin melts. Removing the fat this way is what makes it crispy, as well as the heat hitting the outside of it.
Purely an opinion. Just as my post was.
Julia always gave her roasted chicken a good butter massage before putting it in the oven. Not to say its required, but I like to do it and its my money to waste!
She had an opinion as all of us do. Who is to say one is "more" right than another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Tried to edit that again but ran out of time.
I haven't buttered or basted in years and I'm a crispy skin fiend My mom and I both love picking at crispy bits of turkey, sneaking just one more as it rests. And I'm a firm believer that crispy chicken skin goes bad overnight. It must be eaten fresh right away
My roasted chicken comes out very crispy and I don't need 425f to do it. Is it that hard to understand that not everyone is going to do it your way?
That maybe some other way might work just as well?
For the record, I do not baste either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
RB, if you've never done it at 425f how do you know? I've done it your way and so I know for sure I produce a better bird at 425F.
Roasting a chicken in my oven at 425f would over brown it, well before the chicken is done. This is more a guess than a fact. I base my assumption because 350 does the job just fine.
Why would I roast at a higher temp when I get a nicely browned and crispy skinned bird at 350?
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Purely an opinion. Just as my post was.
Julia always gave her roasted chicken a good butter massage before putting it in the oven. Not to say its required, but I like to do it and its my money to waste!
She had an opinion as all of us do. Who is to say one is "more" right than another.
What I posted is not an opinion. It's a provable fact. There is a big difference.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
My roasted chicken comes out very crispy and I don't need 425f to do it. Is it that hard to understand that not everyone is going to do it your way?
That maybe some other way might work just as well?
For the record, I do not baste either.
Do whatever you want but cooking the same thing at two different temperatures for the same amount of time will not produce the same results. I've done it at 350 and get better results at 425. That also is a fact and not an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Roasting a chicken in my oven at 425f would over brown it, well before the chicken is done. This is more a guess than a fact. I base my assumption because 350 does the job just fine.
If you haven't done both and compared the results, then yes, it's a guess and not a fact. So just refrain from making definitive statements based on guesses.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #26
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If you haven't done both and compared the results, then yes, it's a guess and not a fact. So just refrain from making definitive statements based on guesses.
Why don't you refrain from being a know it all?
Your worse than me!
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #27
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
I thought this was a great informative thread until the end when the fight broke out.....
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #28
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I thought this was a great informative thread until the end when the fight broke out.....
There's no fight Carol, only differences of opinion. If there were no differences of opinion there would be no "Discussion of Cooking".
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Why don't you refrain from being a know it all?
Your worse than me!
pthththhf
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
baking, chicken, other

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.