"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It is a bottled dressing that has vinegar, oil, and herbs. The oil is not necessarily olive oii. And who knows what kind of vinegar is in it. Back in the 1970's-80's it was all the rage to marinate meat in this concoction. You buy the bottle at the supermarket. You dump the stuff in a bowl, put your meat in it for a certain length of time, then cook it.

I personally (and others I know of) think it is a nasty way to marinate meat. All you taste is the vinegar. This method has seen its day and is ready for a funeral. There are differnt types of this dressing. Creamy Italian, Red vinegar, Plain Italian. They are all mass produced in some factory. It doesn't matter what kind you use, the end result is still the same. It is supposed to tenderize the meat. But if you have a good piece of meat, you end up ruining it. And I have heard of some folks have their chicken come out stringy because they left it in the concoction too long. Most of the folks in DC prefer to make their own marinade.
I absolutely agree! Every time I make a marinade, it is never the same...

Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #22
Executive Chef

When you flatten your chicken, try rolling it around some chopped vegetables. Asparagas is really good. So are brocoli, sweet peppers, onions, mushrooms. You can put just a tiny pat of butter in the middle with the veggies. Secure it with a toothpick and bake at 350F for about 35 minutes. You'll want to check on it at the 20 minute mark to see how it's progressing so you can adjust the time as needed.

These are good served along side some fettuccini or linguini tossed with lemon and olive oil or some rice seasoned with your favorite herbs (basil, cilantro, oregano, rosemarey,etc.). If you can, buy some fresh herbs. Then chop them up and add them to the rice imidiately after it's done. Add a little butter or olive oil too for texture. Stir the herbs in and cover with the lid again. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #23
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean
hey 4string,where've you been hiding?.good to see you back.....or have we just been on different threads?
Here and there, I suppose. The kitchen has been busy and chef is on holiday. Had to do a birthday party which ended up pretty dumb and a party on Fri for 50 judges. Between that and my new girl, things have been a little hectic. :)
Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four String Chef View Post
Had to do a ... party on Fri for 50 judges
That one looks scary!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Chicken Section & Ethnic Section

Both of these sections, host a wonderful array of chicken recipes from all corners of the globe ...

Please do take a look.

Ciao, Kind regards,
Margaux.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #26
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari

That one looks scary!
I'm glad all I'm doing for it is prep and set. It was a hassle to get it together, too. They wanted to pay 1300 for a 3000 dollar job because they are "public servants". They couldn't get their end together properly. It shouldn't be too bad. Let the wait-monkeys deal with'em, I say.

Tags
chicken