ISO help to make gizzards tender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MERTON

Assistant Cook
i'm trying gizzards because of their high protein value. is there any way to make them easier to chew?

is it true that liver has even more protein than gizzards?

Floured and deep fried. Can't say they are tender but they are great that way.

Used to be a restaurant in Orlando called Chastain's that people would flock to for those suckers.

I simmer them in seasoned water with pickling spice and sea salt and white vinegar to taste generly a hour of simmering will do the trick if not cook till tender.

I use to make these for a snack, season and flour,then brown nicely in evoo/butter. Add enough chicken broth to almost cover and simmer with lid on until fork tender - almost 2 hrs. When tender, take lid off and reduce liquid a little - you can now make gravy if so be. Yum

Frying is certainly the tastiest way to enjoy gizzards. But it does somewhat negate any healthy aspects. And frying doesn't do much tenderizing.

I would whip out my trusty pressure cooker. I'll bet 15 - 20 minutes at 15 psi would do the trick.

Better yet, set your timer to 10 minutes, cool/remove from pressure cooker, then flour & fry them. I'm getting hungry thinking about that option.

Tom

Gizzards are wonderful and easy to make. My trick is to only eat the 'bulbs' at the ends, i.e. cut our the center (chewy part). I coat them generously with flour/red chili flakes/Gebhardts chili powder/garlic powder -thoroughly blended of course. Pop them in a hot fry pan with plenty of good oil. Cover and let them 'pop'. DO NOT OVERCOOK. Seven minutes for both sides is about right. They will be crusted with dark-looking coating. The meat of the ends should still be dark pink.
Mmmm, making my own mouth water.

mbasistza is dead on target. If you "fillet" the gizzards by trimming away the surrounding grizzle, you can cook them to tender much more quickly. They are surprisingly tasty!

If you trim the flesh from the gristle as suggested in an earlier post, you've solved a lot of the problem.

Coincidentally, gizzards and chicken livers are key ingredients to a delicious dirty rice recipe.

Back
Top Bottom