"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
Cook

ISO help with duck breasts

I need to make duck breasts for 8 people and would like to make them ahead of time and refrigerate. Ideally I would also like to slice them ahead of time and then just warm the slices up in the oven. I wouldn't want to overcook them so have no idea how to do this- what temp, how long?
Thanks!!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Frankly, I'd be opposed to reheating. A properly cooked duck breast is like a great steak, best served freh and hot off the grill/pan.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Frankly, I'd be opposed to reheating. A properly cooked duck breast is like a great steak, best served freh and hot off the grill/pan.
+1

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #4
Cook

+2
Have you done this before, Jules? The actual cooking time for a prepared breast (i.e. lightly seasoned , at room temp, dried, and with a crisscross pattern cut into the fat layer) only takes 17 minutes at most.
Put the breasts fat side down in a skillet over medium heat for six minutes to render the fat.
Turn the breasts over and seer the meat for about one more minute.
Transfer the breasts to a heated pan if you are using a non stick skillet (no need with a cast iron pan) and roast in a 400F oven until you have an internal temp of 160F, about six (check the temp at that time) to 10 minutes.
This isn't meant to be a recipe -- some folk do all of the cooking on the hob and don't use the oven -- but the overall time is about right.
Let it rest tented in foil for another five minutes and it is ready to serve. I'll be doing this on Thanksgiving!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Cook

no, I have never cooked duck breast before. I've watched some videos so my main worry is the grease and smoke. We moved to Florida and downsized so I do not have a dining room. I have an open kitchen and the table is basically right there. I don't want to be smoking up the house while guests are trying to enjoy their soup. I was hoping to maybe sear the breasts earlier in the day, discard the grease, air out the house, and then finish it in the oven. Would that work? Any suggestions?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not only that but a properly cooked duck breast is still pink (or even red) in the middle and it's not safe to parcook and refrigerate poultry.

Also you'll likely ruin the duck by slicing ahead of time.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's a method I have been wanting to try.

And since there is a resting period, it might not be as hectic trying to prepare everything at once while your guests are there. You can sear and slice the breasts as needed.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Here's a method I have been wanting to try.

And since there is a resting period, it might not be as hectic trying to prepare everything at once while your guests are there. You can sear and slice the breasts as needed.

That is fascinating. Not to be a wet blanket, the plastic bag manufacturer cautions against cooking food in their bags. There is a carcinogen issue.

If you had a Foodsaver, that would work great.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Maybe the fairly low water temp has some bearing on that? That's a very good point though.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

And doesn't that look tasty?

Tags
duck