"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 03-20-2007, 07:30 AM   #21
Sous Chef

You will never duplicate KFC (why!!) because they pressure fry the chicken. You can put the copycat spices, etc. on it (and please stop obsessing about the potassium typo) and fry it, BUT it will never taste the same.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #22
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
You will never duplicate KFC (why!!) because they pressure fry the chicken. You can put the copycat spices, etc. on it (and please stop obsessing about the potassium typo) and fry it, BUT it will never taste the same.

hi candocook,

i wasn't obsessing about the potassium just curious. what do you mean it's a typo. u mean it's a typing mistake?

anyway do you think the chicken will taste like kfc if i bought a pressure cooker to cook it in?

Old 03-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #23
Master Chef

1) You recipe does not call for "potassium." That's a typo. They left off the "chloride." Please see discussion above.

2) You cannot fry in a regular pressure cooker. If you are really that set on this experiment, make 100% sure you buy a pressure fryer otherwise you could really hurt yourself.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:00 PM   #24
Cook

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
1) You recipe does not call for "potassium." That's a typo. They left off the "chloride." Please see discussion above.

2) You cannot fry in a regular pressure cooker. If you are really that set on this experiment, make 100% sure you buy a pressure fryer otherwise you could really hurt yourself.

thanks for the advice jennyema,

i don' know much about pressure cookers. i think maybe i will just petition the local council to let us have a kfc in our towm
Old 03-25-2007, 06:10 PM   #25
Master Chef

That "marinade" will not make the chicken soaked in it taste anything like KFC, especially if you just soak it and fry it! It's a brine/cure - it's got no "flavorings" in it.

That marinade would be at best only an overnight brine/cure ... the real flavor will come from the "11 secret herbs and spices" in the "breading" - and in the "pressure frying".

Please - do NOT try to use a pressure "cooker" to pressure "fry" - unless you have a death wish!!! They are not readily interchangeable ... well, you can pressure cook in a pressure fryer but you can't pressure fry in a pressure cooker.

I LOVE KFC original chicken ... but I only splurge on a bucket once every 3-6 months.

You might find our discussion on "Saltpeter" of some interest ... since it's really along the same lines.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #26
Cook

thanks for the advice michael. i was gonna go buy a pressure cooker to fry those chicken as they're quite cheap but after reading advice from dc members, found out it was a big no no. and a pressure fryer cost an arm and a leg someone said.

so i have given up on making kfc chicken at home and consoling myself with the fact that kfc chicken is really not good for you anyway with the amount of msg in the recipe.

perhaps this summer hubby and i will go on a shopping trip in order to go to our closest kfc ( 4 hours away)
Old 03-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
K salts also tend to be much less hygroscopic than Na salts also, so there may be practical reasons (storage transport etc...) that it`s used.

OR...... maybe he just wanted to be different and make life difficult for Recipe Copiers???

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:18 PM   #28
Master Chef

This has been an interesting topic to research ... and really makes me wish I had paid more attention to the documentary they did on the history of "Colonel" Harland Sanders and the founding of KFC - they showed film of him and his original pressure fryers.

The "original" Original KFC was cooked in a cast iron skillet ... because it was less greasy than deep frying .... but to decrease cooking time and increase output (and thus profit), he started playing around with pressure fryers which could cook more chicken in a shorter time. The original ones the he used were on-the-stovetop types. And, apparently the method he used of marinating and then breading and frying is known as "Broasting" ... you really want to take the time to read this article.

The two main commercial pressure fryers appear to be the Broaster and the Henny Penny ... and both will set you back a pretty penny when new ... and even used they are upwards of $2,500 US (for a Broaster currently on eBay - Broaster only sell new to restaurants so I couldn't find a price for them ... although I did find a price for a Henny Penny, starting at about $9,000 US) ... and you have to have commercial wiring to handle them - your average home wiring will not handle it. Obviously, these are both overkill for the home cook.

This site is also a must read: What You Need to Know about Pressure Frying (and don't forget to read the other associated topics on that page, too!!) The only two pressure fryers she mentions are both hard to find.

One option that might be worth exploring is an All American Pressure Cooker - you'll just have to email them and talk to them about if it can be used as a pressure fryer. It certainly "seems" to fit the bill ... no rubber gasket, dual vent ports, multiple locking clamps. They don't advertise their cookers as "fryers" - you'll just have to ask them about it.

So, basically, the modern day "drive thru" KFC secret is based on marinating overnight (to help retain moisture like a brine will), then the breading with "11 secret herbs and spices" (for flavor), and cooking in a pressure fryer (to retain moisture and decrease greasyness).

Whew ... now this has been fun!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #29
Cook

interesting article on colonel sanders michael. didn't realize he originally used an iron skillet to fry his chicken. i wonder how long it took him to fry his chicken in the skillet.

when i did mine in a wok it took me a good 30-40 minutes to fry them on medium heat. i was really surprised as i didn't think it took that long to deep fry chicken especially when it has been brined overnight as well.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:07 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by g23
interesting article on colonel sanders michael. didn't realize he originally used an iron skillet to fry his chicken. i wonder how long it took him to fry his chicken in the skillet.

when i did mine in a wok it took me a good 30-40 minutes to fry them on medium heat. i was really surprised as i didn't think it took that long to deep fry chicken especially when it has been brined overnight as well.
Brining has no effect on cooking time. It takes 15 minutes per side to fry chicken under usual circumstances--as I have been doing for a number of years.
And the Colonel didn't brine his chicken either.

Tags
None