"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,285
Spatchcocked chicken with chili

Trying a new recipe out tonight for Spatchcocked chicken..
Sorry I can't post the recipe.The basic ingredients are chicken,olive oil,dried red chili flakes,and a lot of lemons.Lemons are mostly called for after the chicken is done.

I've found a problem with the recipe.It says to marinate the spatchcocked chicken in all of the ingredients,overnight,or at least a few hours.I got that part..

Preheat the broilerpan 4" from the flame, at the highest temp.Cook back side first 15min.Turn, breast side up,continue cooking 15 minutes,basting often..Until the chicken is done.Use the lemon wedges to squeezed lemon juice on the chicken.

That's the problem,the recipe doesn't say what to baste it with..
The picture of the final product has chili peppers.What they basted it with I don't know.

How would a little bit of olive oil,lemon juice and chili peppers,fresh ground black pepper, work out for me? I'm guessing at what I can use.

I'm open to suggestions..
Thanks

Munky.
__________________

__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Sounds like a plan Munky. Should work well I think.
__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Trying a new recipe out tonight for Spatchcocked chicken..
Sorry I can't post the recipe.The basic ingredients are chicken,olive oil,dried red chili flakes,and a lot of lemons.Lemons are mostly called for after the chicken is done.

I've found a problem with the recipe.It says to marinate the spatchcocked chicken in all of the ingredients,overnight,or at least a few hours.I got that part..

Preheat the broilerpan 4" from the flame, at the highest temp.Cook back side first 15min.Turn, breast side up,continue cooking 15 minutes,basting often..Until the chicken is done.Use the lemon wedges to squeezed lemon juice on the chicken.

That's the problem,the recipe doesn't say what to baste it with..
The picture of the final product has chili peppers.What they basted it with I don't know.

How would a little bit of olive oil,lemon juice and chili peppers,fresh ground black pepper, work out for me? I'm guessing at what I can use.

I'm open to suggestions..
Thanks

Munky.
i would assume you use a bulb baster to suck up the pan drippings and fat that renders from the chicken while its cooking. just like you baste (or thats how i baste) a turkey. HTH
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
i would assume you use a bulb baster to suck up the pan drippings and fat that renders from the chicken while its cooking. just like you baste (or thats how i baste) a turkey. HTH
I've just finished getting the marinade done..Lifted the skin,then injected some of the marinade under it.The recipe didn't say to do that,but why not,they left out the basting idea ..It can't hurt..Can it? lol..

The bulb baster crossed my mind to.The only problem with that is the recipe requires that the chicken be broiled.My broiler pan (You know the open slits,top part) the baster end won't fit through it.

This is going to be interesting..A challenge is good :)

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I've just finished getting the marinade done..Lifted the skin,then injected some of the marinade under it.The recipe didn't say to do that,but why not,they left out the basting idea ..It can't hurt..Can it? lol..

The bulb baster crossed my mind to.The only problem with that is the recipe requires that the chicken be broiled.My broiler pan (You know the open slits,top part) the baster end won't fit through it.

This is going to be interesting..A challenge is good :)

Munky.
i just suggested the baster because i think the idea of basting is to pour the flavorful fats that drip out while cooking over the meat so the fat (grease which gets very hot and will sear the surface and give nice color) will brown the meat, keep it moist and crisp it up. a wet baste will keep the skin from crisping and won't get as hot as a fat will.

jmho

i would love to hear and SEE who it turns out.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
I would probably make enough marinade so I could use half of it to marinate the chicken in, with the other half set aside for basting.
__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,386
While the chicken is cooking on the back side. Bring the marinade liquid to a boil on the stove to eliminate any raw chicken contamination then use that to baste with. That's were all the ingredients are that you see in the final product.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,285
Ok,here it is..Quick! jump to the pic,the rest of this isn't important! :)

Seriously though,had to modify the amounts and cooking time to suit the size of the chicken I had.
Maybe the amounts they had might have been for a Cornish game hen..
Made a separate batch for the basting.
All in all I'd say it tasted pretty good. Lemony,the peppers caught up with me.Next time.. I'll cut that to half the amount.

Munky.



__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Ok,here it is..Quick! jump to the pic,the rest of this isn't important! :)

Seriously though,had to modify the amounts and cooking time to suit the size of the chicken I had.
Maybe the amounts they had might have been for a Cornish game hen..
Made a separate batch for the basting.
All in all I'd say it tasted pretty good. Lemony,the peppers caught up with me.Next time.. I'll cut that to half the amount.

Munky.



looks fantastic!! where did you get the recipe? can you post a link?
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Seriously though,had to modify the amounts and cooking time to suit the size of the chicken I had. Maybe the amounts they had might have been for a Cornish game hen..
While it looks absolutely delicious, you're probably correct about the size of the bird. All the spatchcock recipes I have call for really small birds like poussins (pretty much just little poults, poor things), small Cornish Game hens, or quail, partridge, etc. Largest I've ever heard called for was a 2# fryer. Since spatchcocking calls for removing the backbone & flattening the rest of the bird as much as possible, the smaller the bird, the less amount of cooking time necessary. Larger birds may not cook correctly this way unless pressed under bricks - a very popular way of cooking larger spatchcocked birds.
__________________

__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.