Seasonings to pair with rosemary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never been one for adding lots of seasonings to meat dishes except for chicken, because in my experience, the more you add, the tastier it will be. Being a white meat, not as tasty as red meats, it seems to "call out" for lots of mixed herbs/spices to be added. I sometimes cheat and buy ready-mix of different seasonings for chicken! I don't even read what's in it! 😏A dash of white wine helps too. Of course I add a small sprig of fresh rosemary.

All in all, in the end you have a lovely, delicious taste. You can't distinguish each and every single seasoning, it's just a perfect blend of different tastes, an overall delight! 😀
"Lots of mixed herbs/spices"; exactly! I just want one of them to be rosemary, and the others not to be in the same family.

That sounds really interesting! Do you have a recipe with rosemary and all of those other things?
Lovage, lavender, dill, and lemon peel

Lots of things! I don't have one that uses all four at once though, but a fast google search will yield tons of results for most of the combos.

Some that I especially enjoy:
  • Rosemary and lavender shortbread cookies.
  • Roasted lamb kabobs. Removing the leaves from the rosemary twigs, I use the twigs as skewers. Then make a marinade from other ingredients to your liking. Dill and lemon go especially well here.
  • Rosemary and dill potatoes are lovely. Honestly, I love dill and use it for many things. A flavored butter would be nice with these two ingredients. Serve it on whatever you want.
  • Lemon peel and anything listed above. Tea, marinades, seasonings for veggies, soups, etc.

When I bake chicken I use a slice of lemon under and over the chicken and season the chicken with salt pepper and a lot of paprika. Paprika is aromatic and makes the chicken look great and tastes great.

You might also consider cilantro. And of course not an herb but celery imparts and herb like flavor. You could just lay them on top or inside and remove them before serving.

Granted I do usually top my lemon baked chicken with the usual herbs you can't use. But I have a feeling it would be just fine just like that. Also keep in mind that different peppers like Chili peppers or spices made from Chili peppers are also aromatic and impart flavor not unlike herbs. I add poblano to a lot of things because it's fairly mild, but I never fail to roast it and then take most of the blackended skin off before doing it because the outer part can be bitter.

Anaheim pepper is also mild. In a baked chicken dish when you're not going for spicy but aromatic you wouldn't want to use much. In fact you could just lay some bigger pieces around or on top and remove them before serving.

And you can use either Rosemary or thyme. You certainly don't need to use them together. You really don't need two.

Another mild thing that you can add flavor with is leeks just snipped off and used more like an herb instead of as a side.

Ah, the only thing I don't like about handling fresh rosemary from my garden is that it leaves a sticky residue on my fingers, and it is not easy to wash off with basic soap and water. I use nitrile gloves when I handle fresh rosemary.

Anyone else notice that sticky residue?

CD
That's the essential oil with all the flavor and aroma. Vinegar or rubbing alcohol can help break down the oils and make them easier to remove.

I was questioning her about the oregano in Mexican recipes, which didn't make sense, so we ended up looking it up and discovering that oregano is used to substitute for epazote in those areas where epazote is not available in stores.
There are two different types of oregano - Mediterranean and Mexican. While you can use them interchangeably, they're not the same.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I don't want to take 2 ingredients that I'm barely familiar with, and just throw them at random on chicken, lol! The chance of producing anything good that way is basically zero. Have you actually MADE chicken with rosemary and tarragon?
Not tarragon. I hate it. Yes, I’ve actually MADE chicken with rosemary. Not often, as I’m not a huge fan of it either.

Like I suggested awhile back. Why not skip the rosemary? Marinate your chicken in Italian salad dressing and roast it.

There are two different types of oregano - Mediterranean and Mexican. While you can use them interchangeably, they're not the same.

Yes, they are similar, and yet different. I keep both in dried form in my pantry. Mexican oregano (dried) is pretty easy to find in Texas grocery stores. I grow the Mediterranean version in my yard. I can't seem to find the Mexican oregano plants in the nurseries around here.

CD

@BurnsWater Your mention of oregano in Mexican food brings up another herb - Mexican oregano, which is another species, but similar in flavor, to Greek oregano. And Mexican oregano is not in the mint family. I've sprouted the seeds, but couldn't get them to grow well. Something I will try again, eventually.

...is to keep trying new things, in different combinations, with the eventual goal being to hopefully be able to consume the full spectrum of seasonings, like most people can. It's working really well so far; 30 years ago, I couldn't stand anything besides salt and garlic!

That's a reason I can get behind. Tastes change over time for many things. It's worth trying things from time to time, to see if you still like or don't like them.

I have found that I actually like cilantro if I put it in a homemade salsa, in small amounts. I've read that the acidic ingredients of salsas alter the effect of the aldehydes in cilantro, but I have found no scientific information to back that up. It does seem to work in my homemade salsas.

BTW, I don't like the texture of rosemary -- too "woody" for me. Using the sprigs in braising then removing works for me. I lose very few "needles." Perhaps the freshness of the rosemary makes a difference -- my sprigs are snipped from my garden minutes before I use them.

CD

When I bake chicken I use a slice of lemon under and over the chicken and season the chicken with salt pepper and a lot of paprika. Paprika is aromatic and makes the chicken look great and tastes great.

When I do a rotisserie chicken on the Weber Kettle, I stuff the bird with quartered lemons (along with my herbs). The lemons don't heavily flavor the chicken, but they do help keep the bird moist.

CD

Whole chickens were on sale the other day and I've got one in the freezer. Read that recipe GG and it sounds great! plus the fact I can do it in the slow cooker and not have to use the oven upstairs (although I've done a whole chicken in my toaster oven). My cuisinart slow cooker has a sear function and have seared and done whole chickens in it before. This sounds perfect for that next whole chicken!

burnswater, you don't have to add the whole amount of rosemary it calls for. Reduce from 3 Tbsp to just under 2 if you'd like, or even less. You should still get a hint of the aroma/flavour.

Hint: once you do use it and tell your neighbour - if you fudge your answer and feign loving it she is liable to dump a ton more on you. Better to be honest - tell her your husband loves it but it is not your favourite. If she still insists to give you lots, take out a sprig or two and just say - that's wonderful, thank you, but this is all I really need, it will really just go to waste if you give me more!

Whole chickens were on sale the other day and I've got one in the freezer. Read that recipe GG and it sounds great! plus the fact I can do it in the slow cooker and not have to use the oven upstairs (although I've done a whole chicken in my toaster oven). My cuisinart slow cooker has a sear function and have seared and done whole chickens in it before. This sounds perfect for that next whole chicken!

burnswater, you don't have to add the whole amount of rosemary it calls for. Reduce from 3 Tbsp to just under 2 if you'd like, or even less. You should still get a hint of the aroma/flavour.

Hint: once you do use it and tell your neighbour - if you fudge your answer and feign loving it she is liable to dump a ton more on you. Better to be honest - tell her your husband loves it but it is not your favourite. If she still insists to give you lots, take out a sprig or two and just say - that's wonderful, thank you, but this is all I really need, it will really just go to waste if you give me more!
And there is always the option to use it for potpourri--in a room you rarely go in!

Marinate your chicken in Italian salad dressing with crushed garlic and chopped rosemary.

I’m serious.
That's really a great idea. The dressing should counteract the strong flavor of the rosemary.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom