"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
View Poll Results: To Stuff or Not to Stuff?
yes 11 55.00%
no 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2004, 01:08 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Don't those look good! How many people did you feed, Rainee?

Old 11-09-2004, 01:13 PM   #22
Executive Chef

We smoke turkeys for others around the holidays. Have smoked anywhere from 20-40 turkeys at a time.

We may have any where from 8-14 or 15 people at Thanksgiving & Christmas.

Our turkeys and chickens almost require a bib when eating. That's how moist and juicey they are.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:19 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey, as long as the fire's in the hole, why not?

I believe it about the bib. Handy Husband smoked a turkey for us a few years ago (I was totally uninvolved so have no tips) that turned out just great. We gave the little smoker to sister and BIL, whose house we will be going to this year, so maybe we can talk them into smoking another one.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:35 PM   #24
Master Chef

Rainee -- your birds look awesome. :D

GB -- you have never made a turkey?? Wazzup with that?? :D

T-giving turkey is my favorite thing to cook!
Old 11-09-2004, 01:45 PM   #25
Chief Eating Officer

My favorite meal is T-day. Every year my brother and I have a fight. He wants to have T-day in a restaurant. I say over my dead body. So far I have yet to lose that fight.

Yeah I have never cooked a turkey. I have made a turkey breast, but not the whole bird. For the most part I am usually only cooking for my wife and myself. Occasionally we have another couple over, but I have always made other things than turkey. Don't worry though Jenny. I will make one soon enough I am sure. Maybe I will volunteer for next year T-day :)
Old 11-09-2004, 02:05 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Bucky Alert!

Bucky, you can make 'out of the bird' stuffing and not use a lot of fat - just use chicken broth to moisten, and add just a little melted butter or oil. Makes me sad to think you won't do stuffing!
Old 11-09-2004, 02:18 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

oh no, marmalady. we do the stuffing outside of the boid, just like you suggested. thanks for the concern tho. whaddya think we are, communists? lol. ya gotta have stuffing on thanksgiving.

we do an italian sausage, apple, and a mix of cornbread and whole wheat bread stuffing, with fat free chicken stock and some herbs.

boy do i have a lot to be thankful for this year. i just wish my mil was with us. i had a whole thing ready to say during grace. i'll have to modify it now. don't want anyone crying in their stuffing...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:06 PM   #28
Head Chef

Geez, Rainee! I sure wished I lived close enough to you to place an early order! Those birds are BEAUTIFUL!!! You certainly have that art well defined!

As a not-so-subtle sidenote, I would also like to back up jennyema. Besides the validity of her information, I can attest in that I personally see a distinct increase in salmonella-related admissions right after two major holidays. Would you care to guess which two? In my locale, we can reasonably expect about ten diagnoses of salmonella by the day after Thanksgiving. Multiply that ten by the fifteen or so major hospitals in this area and you still have a low number per capita. But it's a really ugly illness. And it sure does happen.

Bucky, I really like your recipe for stuffing! Heck, even Sen. McCarthy would have liked it!
Old 11-09-2004, 08:42 PM   #29
Senior Cook

I stuff. Never used egg in stuffing. Always made it the night before, so it goes in the bird Thanksgiving morning just as cold as the bird is. I pour 2 cups of Cognac all over the bird in and out before stuffing.
Jenny facts are right, can't argue about it!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 04:35 PM   #30
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Ruth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Here's the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_8389,00.html

For the science of it (including his take on stuffing ), look here: http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Refer...2001-11-20.htm
Thank you so much for the links. Here is the rundown according to AB:

"Little Zerlina: Hi, Alton. I remember you saying in a previous chat that stuffing is evil. Why is it evil? I think it's the best part of the turkey!

Alton Brown: Okay, here I go again. Stuffing increases mass. Mass extends cooking time. By the time enough heat gets into the stuffing to cook it and render it safe, the turkey, or a good portion of it, will be overcooked. You want to cook a turkey as fast as you can to minimize juice loss, and the fastest way is without stuffing it. So make stuffing, save your drippings, and stuff it in something else to cook it. Just don't cook it in the turkey. You could cook the stuffing separately and put it in the turkey after the turkey is cooked, or you can definitely take the bird out of the oven and put the stuffing in then. ... So take the turkey out of the roasting pan, toss your dressing in the drippings, stuff it in the turkey while it rests, and then take it to the table. Stuffing is only evil when it's stuffing. If it's dressing, it's fine."

However, while looking around on the food TV website link, I found some info on a new episode of Good Eats to be aired on Nov. 14th. This is what the episode is about:

"Stuff It
AB’s gone on record as saying the stuff is evil and yet, hundreds of protest letters have him rethinking his position. Can a stuffing be designed that’s good for diner and bird alike? Maybe? if a proper model can be found. "

I can't wait to see what he has to add to the argument...

Tags
None