"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have an 8 legged Turkey! Only a couple of breast meat lovers, so I was able to pick up 6 extra drumsticks, wish I could have gotten some thighs as well.
Oh, we're going to need a picture of that! I have an idea! 💡 Get a big round platter and put the breast in the center, then surround it with the drumsticks with the bony end facing out so people can easily grab a leg. Then fill the spaces in between with the stuffing
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:11 PM   #42
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Oh, we're going to need a picture of that! I have an idea! 💡 Get a big round platter and put the breast in the center, then surround it with the drumsticks with the bony end facing out so people can easily grab a leg Then fill the spaces in between with the stuffing
I was going to set it up just like that. I have to do some rearranging of furniture, but I will try to get pictures of the whole spread. We are having ham, too! (because I did not want to get swamped with just turkey leftovers)
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,875
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I like to eat the meat on the back of the bird. I find meat near the bone is the tastiest. When I roast a bird breast up for the whole roasting time, I find the back gets soggy. It turns out just right when I turn the bird on its sides and then breast up. So, I think it does have something to do with gravity.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #44
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
JMHO, I don't believe roasting a turkey breast side down, on its own, results in a juicier turkey. The juices run right past the breasts and into the pan. They don't get absorbed by the breasts.

If your turkey came out dry, it was overcooked.
I like to spread a rosemary and thyme herb butter under the skin on the breast to both flavor and help retain moistness.

One thing that I can absolutely agree with others on is no stuffing in the bird. That lengthens the required cooking time significantly and leads directly to overcooking. With some of the good recipes available for stuffing (or dressing if you prefer), you can get all the flavor necessary without resorting to putting it in the bird. I do a wild mushroom dressing that gets raves whenever I bring it to a holiday gathering.

Addressing turning a turkey (or any other large roast) during cooking - I have a pair of silicone gloves that I use for that. I don't try to balance it on forks or other utensils like I used to. Just pick it up turn it over and set it back down. Then I keep the gloves on and just wash my hands in the dishwater that I always have ready while I'm cooking.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,856
Well, I've been making real stuffing - meaning stuffed in the bird - as long as I've been making Thanksgiving turkey and we're happy with the results, so that's what I like to do.

It looks like I'll be trying something new this year, though. We will probably not be back from Michigan (visiting the in-laws since my MIL is ill) until next Tuesday or Wednesday and there won't be time to thaw a whole turkey after we get back, so I will probably end up roasting parts on top of a pan of stuffing. Or maybe spatchcocking.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #46
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
My way isn't the only right way. That's all I'm saying.
Nor is mine or the others. I suggest this method because it works and I like the results.
I have only roasted three turkeys breast side down in my entire life. And I never had a single issue with dryness all those previous years.
My point was and still is, "it made a difference".

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I like to eat the meat on the back of the bird. I find meat near the bone is the tastiest. When I roast a bird breast up for the whole roasting time, I find the back gets soggy. It turns out just right when I turn the bird on its sides and then breast up. So, I think it does have something to do with gravity.
My wife used to throw away chicken wings! The horror when I first met her.
When she makes fried chicken I always cut up a whole bird for her. I cut the back and ribs part away from the breast then cut that section in half. I have her fry those two pieces along with the other pieces. The two back pieces by far are my favorite. Very crispy with skin and just a little meat. I love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Addressing turning a turkey (or any other large roast) during cooking - I have a pair of silicone gloves that I use for that. I don't try to balance it on forks or other utensils like I used to. Just pick it up turn it over and set it back down. Then I keep the gloves on and just wash my hands in the dishwater that I always have ready while I'm cooking.
Thanks RP for the tip. I have ruined several pot holders when I could just get some gloves. Thanks again.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:56 PM   #47
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Nor is mine or the others. I suggest this method because it works and I like the results.
I have only roasted three turkeys breast side down in my entire life. And I never had a single issue with dryness all those previous years.
My point was and still is, "it made a difference". ...
Point taken. Keep doing what you're doing if it works great for you. Where my stove sits in my kitchen, I would have to completely remove the pan with the bird to my work island, then place everything back into the oven. Tight spaces make this a little more challenging, but not impossible.

My favorite turkey cooking method is to smoke it on the Webber. DW will not accept any other technique except for an oven-roasted turkey. And it has to be very juicy for her to like it.

I hope you have a perfect Thanksgiving.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #48
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Point taken. Keep doing what you're doing if it works great for you. Where my stove sits in my kitchen, I would have to completely remove the pan with the bird to my work island, then place everything back into the oven. Tight spaces make this a little more challenging, but not impossible.

My favorite turkey cooking method is to smoke it on the Webber. DW will not accept any other technique except for an oven-roasted turkey. And it has to be very juicy for her to like it.

I hope you have a perfect Thanksgiving.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Yes Chief, the method could and would be challenging for some folks.
I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving as well.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:09 PM   #49
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
One more turkey tip:
Roast your bird the day before it is to be served. Remove it from the oven and let it sit for twenty minutes of so. Remove the whole breast halves, the legs and thigh, and wings from the carcass. REmove the back meat as well. Slice the breasts against the grain so that each slice gets a bit of skin. Slice the dark meat from the thighs. Arrange all of the meat into an oven-proof, lidded pan along with off the juices. Place the stuffing into a covered casserole dish. Refrigerate everything overnight, with the turkey meat sitting in its own drippings. Season the drippings if needed with salt and a bit of sage. That juice will absorb back into the meat, even if it was accidentally over-cooked. When all is reheated to 140' F. in the oven, the meat will be very, very juicy, and full flavored from sitting it the broth overnight. Arrange it all attractively on a serving platter and make gravy from the drippings.

This method gives you a little wiggle room if the turkey is just a bit under, or overcooked. Your turkey will be perfect.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Nort
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,098
Turkey talk, advice please

Chief, one of my mom's friends always roasted his bird the day before too. Then he reheated it the next day. Mom always raved about it.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
turkey

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.