"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 06-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #61
Head Chef

Making grilled cheese sandwiches in the toaster oven is a new one on me. Grilled cheese is just that - grilled.

I make mine in a panini grill or in a skillet stove top. If you want to make a "to die for" grilled cheese try this. Use artisan, rustic bread, sourdough, Italian or French for starters. Butter both sides. Lay sliced tomatoes on one slice, top that with a couple fresh basil leaves, then top all that with 2 slices of Havarti cheese. Top with the other bread slice and lay that in a skillet over med/low heat til browned. Turn and repeat. The Havarti melts like butter and the basil and tomato give the sandwich an awesome flavor. My grandkids think this is the best grilled cheese sandwich ever and so do I.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
DQ - STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG - I'm so hungry and you're killin' me! I'm taking my pannini grill to work where the Havarti is!!!!! I've got my basil and tomatoes and bread already.

Color me happy!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribs and steak View Post
I'd like to get a panini press but I really dont have the room in my kitchen for one-its really not a matter of price

I watched a Good Eats show where Alton Macguyvered himself a panini press with a skillet and a firebrick wrapped in foil & pre heated, just place on top of desired sandwhich
I found space - when I'm not using it I set it on it's side so it looks like a suitcase and slide it beside my TV.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Boy that sandwich sounds good!
Old 06-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #65
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
DQ - STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG - I'm so hungry and you're killin' me! I'm taking my pannini grill to work where the Havarti is!!!!! I've got my basil and tomatoes and bread already.

Color me happy!

Just wait til you take that first bite. You'll be hooked for sure!! Be sure to use a good quality Havarti, forget the low fat stuff, it won't work. And the rustic bread, (no Wonder Bread please) makes a world of difference.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #66
Master Chef

Dang that sounds good. I don't have a press, but I can Macguyver one just like Alton I am sure!
Uh, yea, no Wonder bread please...
Old 06-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #67
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Dang that sounds good. I don't have a press, but I can Macguyver one just like Alton I am sure!
Uh, yea, no Wonder bread please...
Forget the press, all you need is a skillet with a heavy bottom. Press down on the sandwuch every once in a while with your spatula. The only thing the panini press does is give the bread ridges. Who cares?? Don't sweat it.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #68
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Does anybody use Texas Toast for their grilled cheese sammies? (Texas Toast is very thickly sliced white bread.) It's really common here, but I wondered if it is elsewhere.
I have seen that bread in the store but never tried it for anything. I may get some soon.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #69
Master Chef

Take some Texas toast, brush with garlic butter on both sides and throw on the grill, best stuff around!

DQ, that is exactly how I usually do it, smooshing with the spatula as I go, but using a press doesn't just decrease your cooking time it changes the texture of the sandwich so you get a nice crispy crunchy bread soft on the inside instead of a bread smooshed down with a spatula.
A foil wrapped brick does in a pinch but use a stiffer bread or it will smoosh down as well.

Hey can we coin smoosh as an actual cooking term? I just added it to the dictionary, and hey if RR and get credit for EVOO why not? LOL.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:34 PM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Brushed with EVOO and then rubbed with fresh garlic after grilling is good, too, Mav.
Since I make my own bread now, I always cut "Texas style" when making garlic bread.

I use a big brick when making pressed Cubans on the grill. I wrap the sandwich.