ISO help with hot cross buns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carolynlew

Assistant Cook
hello

i made hot cross buns in a bread machine but they didnt rise and came out hard.

these are the ingredients i used

1 egg beaten and made up to 8 fl oz with tepid water
1 lb strong bread flour
2 tbsp dried milk powder
1 tsp salt
2oz caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
1 1/2 tsp easy blend yeast
3 oz currants
2 oz mixed peel

i then placed in hinari bread machine on dough program when completed divided into 12 buns and let is rise. they did not rise. all ingredients were new so not out of date.

Thanks for the help :chef:

The recipe appears it might be a little short on "liquid" ingredients, and maybe a little short on yeast. But, if we can assume the recipe works, as you posted it, and there was no problem with the ingredients:

Time + Temperature are probably the problems.

All ingredients should be at room temperature (about 75ºF/24ºC) before starting. If not, this will retard the proofing time.

Proofing Times: Times vary by temperature - not the clock. Unfortunately, this is a problem for new bakers because many recipes say to proof until the dough doubles or nearly doubles ... and throws in an "about x minutes" statement - and people go by the clock and not what the dough is doing. Forget the clock! Allow the dough to proof until doubled in size!!

Going back to what you said:

carolynlew said:
i made hot cross buns in a bread machine but they didn't rise and came out hard ....

... when completed divided into 12 buns and let is rise. they did not rise. ....

If you don't wait for the dough to double in size before you bake them - you'll be making hot cross rocks, not buns.

too little water.

8 oz of water means 1 cup water. 1 lb flour is about 4 to 5 cups. When I make bread, the general ratio between water and flour is 1:3 (v/v) if there is no other liquid added.

Back
Top Bottom