"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 08-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Ok. So as I'm now Chief Longwind, and Dad to a whole host of new family, you all get to call me by my Native American Name, an acronym that accurately describes me.

Noble
Amazing
Chef (of teepee)
Exciting
Powerful
Iconic
Wise
Darned Good Looking
Smells Good

I give you my new Native American name - NACEPIWiDaGoLSG

Let's see you pronounce that one.

Seeeeeeya; NACEPIWiDaGoLSG (Goodweed of the North)
I think I'll just call you Inkosi !

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I think I'll just call you Inkosi !
Would that be eyodwa inkosi?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Would that be eyodwa inkosi?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Zulu is a bit more complicated than that. Inkosi means someone above you as in "Chief, King" Add other words to it and it gets a whole new meaning. Just aiming for chief here not Lord :P

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Pancakes were big in our house growing up for breakfast and also as a "day before payday" dinner. My grandmother always used a cut raw apple or carrot dipped in melted bacon fat to grease the pan before pouring each pancake. I have never seen this mentioned in any old cookbooks and I wonder if any of you DCers are familiar with the practice. I usually use a folded paper towel but about once a year I use an apple. It does provide a faint hint of flavor and freshness along with a fond memory.
I am intrigued about this practice. Just one piece of apple? What was the point of that? Why substitute with a paper towel? Attachment 12229
Old 10-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
I am intrigued about this practice. Just one piece of apple? What was the point of that? Why substitute with a paper towel? Attachment 12229

The half apple or carrot were just to spread a thin layer of new grease before pouring the batter for each new pancake. I am not sure why it was used but, it did give a hint of fresh flavor and it kept the pancakes from sticking. I use the paper towel for the same reason, to apply a thin layer of oil to prevent sticking. If I don't do this the pancakes begin to stick even though the pan I use is well seasoned.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
The half apple or carrot were just to spread a thin layer of new grease before pouring the batter for each new pancake. I am not sure why it was used but, it did give a hint of fresh flavor and it kept the pancakes from sticking. I use the paper towel for the same reason, to apply a thin layer of oil to prevent sticking. If I don't do this the pancakes begin to stick even though the pan I use is well seasoned.
Thank you. Along with this explanation and me rereading your other post, I understand now.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #47
Executive Chef

i made some of your deservedly famous pancakes today, gw. i had no blueberries today, but added a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon to my batter. that was some goood eating. my mom, who usually eats like a bird, put away 3 1/2 pancakes today, instead of her usual one. thanks, gw.... :)
Old 10-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i made some of your deservedly famous pancakes today, gw. i had no blueberries today, but added a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon to my batter. that was some goood eating. my mom, who usually eats like a bird, put away 3 1/2 pancakes today, instead of her usual one. thanks, gw.... :)
Thanks Vitauta. I hope they bring much joy and good eating to your table. And always remember, a good recipe is only a starting point. Add things to the batter, such as M&M's Peanuts, various fruit chunks, spices, etc.

I once made waffles out of Libby's pumpking pie filling, as per the recipe on the can. There was left over filling, so I added flour and baking powder. The waffles were amazing. Be creative. Once you understand the basics of what each ingredient does, it really opens up new applications for the cook.

If you've never made waffles from a yeast-raised batter, you don't know what you're missing. You've got to try it.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote