Hallelujah! I've finally conquered biscuits!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
After years of trying and piles of recipes, I finally produced a pan of the most tantalizing biscuits ever.

They are about 3 inches in diameter and rose to about 2 inches and came out golden brown and just flaked in layers when we broke them apart.

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

I have to give credit to the February 2013 issue of Southern Living magazine. Something about the recipe just "spoke" to me and I got up this morning determined to end up with a pan of perfect biscuits.

I've had this resolve before but have always ended up with colossal failures. Anything from doughy "ugh" biscuits to some the National Hockey League would find perfectly appropriate for a championship game.

The true test will be if, when I make them again, they turn out just as fine. However, for now, I'm doing the happy biscuit dance. Plus, it doesn't hurt that Glenn ate 3 as soon as they came out of the oven.;)

After years of trying and piles of recipes, I finally produced a pan of the most tantalizing biscuits ever.

They are about 3 inches in diameter and rose to about 2 inches and came out golden brown and just flaked in layers when we broke them apart.

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

I have to give credit to the February 2013 issue of Southern Living magazine. Something about the recipe just "spoke" to me and I got up this morning determined to end up with a pan of perfect biscuits.

I've had this resolve before but have always ended up with colossal failures. Anything from doughy "ugh" biscuits to some the National Hockey League would find perfectly appropriate for a championship game.

The true test will be if, when I make them again, they turn out just as fine. However, for now, I'm doing the happy biscuit dance. Plus, it doesn't hurt that Glenn ate 3 as soon as they came out of the oven.;)
'

Just remember, the less you handle and mix the wet dough, the lighter they will come out. Congratulations.

I'm aware of the "handling" part, Addie. Most of the time I barely work the dough but my previous attempts even doing that have been huge disasters.

Don't know what it was this time, but I think the recipe and its method had a little something to do with my success. This recipe called for the dough to "rest," chilled for about 15 minutes before rolling and cutting.

I was surprised to see that when I took the wrapped dough out of the refrigerator, it had expanded quite a lot. Then, as I rolled it, it was like rolling a cloud. Very, very different experience from any in the past.

I'm aware of the "handling" part, Addie. Most of the time I barely work the dough but my previous attempts even doing that have been huge disasters.

Don't know what it was this time, but I think the recipe and its method had a little something to do with my success. This recipe called for the dough to "rest," chilled for about 15 minutes before rolling and cutting.

I was surprised to see that when I took the wrapped dough out of the refrigerator, it had expanded quite a lot. Then, as I rolled it, it was like rolling a cloud. Very, very different experience from any in the past.

That is different. I have never seen that in any recipe. :angel:

That is different. I have never seen that in any recipe. :angel:

Yes, I thought it was a bit different, too. When I removed the dough from the wrapper, it had expanded quite a bit and I could see tons of air bubbles lacing through the dough. It practically floated out of my hands.

As soon as the cut biscuits went into the oven and interacted with the warm environment, they just blew up as if they'd been pumped full of air. I've never seen biscuits do that before.

Don't care. They were delicious and awesomely light.

I'm going to make them again soon to be certain the recipe is repeatable easily. If so, then this will be my "go to" biscuit recipe.

So will you share the recipe and technique with us Katie?

I'd love to, Kayelle, but the recipe falls under copyright restrictions. However, if you can get a copy of the February 2013 issue of Southern Living magazine, the recipe is on page 87. I followed the recipe exactly as directed and am more than pleased with the results.

As you might guess the South and biscuits are like love and marriage, horse and carriage, etc. They go together and I was beginning to wonder how much of a southerner I am since my biscuit-making skills were so pitiful. I feel redeemed after today's experience.:LOL:

Well I'm happy for you then Katie. I won't be tracking down a copy of the magazine though. Thanks anyway.
However the way I understand the copyright laws is ingredients can't be copyrighted, only the word for word instructions. I understand if you don't want to go to the trouble. No problem.

I went to Southern Living Magazine site. Unfortunately they have their recipes up to December 2012. Hopefully, they will update them soon. :angel:

I caught a baking show on PBS last week. The pastry chef said that all dough should rest to allow the gluten to ... I don't remember what he said, but he put some dough in the fridge, brought it out 30 minutes later, and it had really puffed up (non-yeast dough).

I'd love to, Kayelle, but the recipe falls under copyright restrictions. However, if you can get a copy of the February 2013 issue of Southern Living magazine, the recipe is on page 87. I followed the recipe exactly as directed and am more than pleased with the results.

As you might guess the South and biscuits are like love and marriage, horse and carriage, etc. They go together and I was beginning to wonder how much of a southerner I am since my biscuit-making skills were so pitiful. I feel redeemed after today's experience.:LOL:

Is it this one Katie? Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe | MyRecipes.com

No, that's not it. In about a month it should appear in the Southern Living site. The recipes published in the magazine don't show up until the magazine has been out for at least that time. Guess they think it's a way to ensure sales of the publication.

If anyone is interested, I can PM the recipe to them.

Hurray for you Katie !!

I love it when there is a success especially after repeated attempts. I 'd be dancing in the aisles too as I have a few ( well more than several) recipes that need improvement in my cooking. Will simply share in your excitement today.

I know the feeling of a great accomplishment after chasing it for so long. Mine was the chocolate cake. Then I came across the one on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can. I don't even look at other recipes for chocolate cake now. Great going Kate!!! You are as always, A WINNER! :angel:

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

White Lily flour.

I have known people to have feuds for years over someone saying you don't have to have White Lily.

White Lily flour.

I have known people to have feuds for years over someone saying you don't have to have White Lily.

I've always used White Lily flour for biscuits, Frank. I really like it but I don't think I'd feud over it. Actually, the recipe suggests using White Lily. The buttermilk was no problem because I always have buttermilk in the refrigerator. Guess it's a southern thing.

I've always used White Lily flour for biscuits, Frank. I really like it but I don't think I'd feud over it. Actually, the recipe suggests using White Lily. The buttermilk was no problem because I always have buttermilk in the refrigerator. Guess it's a southern thing.

You must not be south enough... :LOL:

Glad you are getting the hang of biscuits.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom