Loveless Cafe biscuit recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I watched Bobby Flay's Throwdown again last week. Featuring a lady Carol Fay, who is the baker at the Loveless Cafe. She makes the best biscuits.
She's been on Martha Stewart, Conan, Ellen, Fox news and others.
video clips here
No one can get the recipe out of her.
Wonder if anyone else has seen her or has been to the Loveless Cafe outside Bellevue Tennessee by Franklin, outside Nashville.
Her biscuits are supposed to be the softest, moistest,fluffiest and best.
Anyone know what a secret would be?
Maybe she uses cake flour, or self rising flour. Maybe she even tosses in yeast somewhere.
If you know how to make something similar would you mind posting.
TIA...

I saw the episode, was a good one. But, I have no idea how she does it, and no I don't make great biscuits, so I didn't originally respond as I would not be of any help.

well mavericks, it's you and me having this conversation.:neutral:
thanks for joining me.
I'm almost wondering, since I viewed all the video's, if she doesn't use bisquick. I mean, she could, but then, I'd assume she'd have to give credit to that company. couldn't she just incorporate her own flour and other ingreds to make it look like it was all her own? I think a biscuit mix has the powdered shortening in in along with the powdered eggs too. I duhno..I noticed on all those video's the amount of 'oil' she put in was minimal. usually don't biscuits include a hard fat like butter or crisco? and cold at that? hummmm

If I were to make a bet, I would say lard is her secret.. Nothing like cooking with lard for flavor..

If I were to make a bet, I would say lard is her secret.. Nothing like cooking with lard for flavor..
well let's see, she's made it several times on tv. but her 'end' proofed dough is always already made and what she uses. Unless on BF's throwdown, she swapped out the dough for already made stuff, that was done right in front of him too. He would have noticed the use of lard right? I mean it's hard and firm, how could you miss it? I only saw her ever dump in liquid oil:mellow:

So how is it that she's on all kinds of shows showing off these biscuits and not sharing the recipe? There outta be a law......

pretend there's a zipper over my mouth, I'm holding the key, just zipped it closed and tossed the key...................your secrets safe with me.
thank you UB......................for now, can I do it with King Arthur though? It's all I have until I get to you know where..................:ohmy:

to Suzi, I have no idea. here she is, braggin to everyone about hers are the best, yet, everyone has tried to get it out of her and she won't budge. that's why I'm wondering if in fact, she uses a biscuit mix of some kind. if it was my show, I'd know the difference but again, she may be changing it out, even MS may not have noticed that. you know, in the interest of time,
'this one's' already made a ready to go.................that's the one that may have the fake out stuff in it.....................:huh:

:) I think not sharing a recipe is just plain dumb most people wont get it right anyway. One brand of frozen bake up raw biscuits that I really like but can't get here is from the Swan delivery guys they are called Southern Style Biscuits. When you bake them up right, they are so tender and good.

The best biscuits I've had in a long time are Mary B's tea biscuits. They are in the frozen bread section of the grocery store. The biscuits are available in regular size also, but the tea biscuits are really great - better than any other I've tried. Also, I can tell myself I can have 2 and it is ok since they are small.

There's a small restaurant chain around MNOTW, and it's got the best biscuits, very light, fluffy and ten........der! I used to do hair with a gal who's husband worked there for years and she said he knew how to make them, better find her name again, still waiting for White Lily to call me back, they're checking into who in my area sells it, if anyone.

Miss Lefse...You can use Martha White if you can find it at your house. It's a great flour too, but it's not White Lily when it comes to biscuits. Sunday the Dw was going to make Biscuits, but informed me we were out of White Lily!:ohmy: I told her never mind!!:LOL: I'm thinking you will have to be mostly East of the Mississippi to find White Lily!

Fun!

LEFSElover said:
So, which do I buy when I finally do find it? All of the above or just regular?

:ermm: What happened to your post? Anyway you will need AP for the formular I sent you, and most scratch recipes. However, if you can buy some SR too!!

Fun!

UB.........as you thought, the date is June 2007. That could have been it too.:( Husband asked for another one at dinner last night this way, "Honey, can you hand me another hockey puck.":( Like you say though, was the SR that I shouldn't have used... Oh well, I'm learning....

I got a blue ribbon for these at the county fair

Southern Drop Biscuits

Pre heat the oven to 5oo degrees

Lightly butter or spray with pam a pan with sides-I use a round cake pan.

mix and sift together into a bowl-

2 cups of flour
2 heaping teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda

Add either 1/4 cup of cooking oil-canola
or 1/4 cup of finely diced butter.
Either stir as you slowly pour the oil into the flour
or mix by squeezing the butter and flour together

Add 1 cup of buttermilk and mix with a spoon .
the mix will be wet.

Place 1/2 cup of flour in a small bowl
Take a slightly heaped tablespoonful of the dough
drop into the dry flour turn over to coat all sides
pat the excess flour off and shape at the same time
place in the pan and so on.
The biscuits should touch the sides of the pan and each other.

Place on the middle rack of the hot oven.
Turn the heat down to 475 and bake for 12 minutes.
The tops should be lightly browned.

(I use King Arthur Flour)

loveless cafe biscuits

i know this is late but for anyone like me just running in to this here goes..

they are OIL biscuits - been around a long time... if you read a few basic oil biscuit recipes you will see you use less oil than the milk, usually 1/3 cup oil to 2/3 cup milk...

2 c flour (the lily stuff may be better or not) (also loveless could be using self rising)
1 T baking powder (if self rising flour only 1 teaspoon)
½ t salt (if self rising- none)

1/3 c oil
2/3 c milk (loveless may be using buttermilk)
MOST important - When mixing and cutting handle VERY little
Watch her technique – very important..

for a few secret ingredients that people add - you can use a couple of things that add to light fluffiness and taste
¼ t cream tart
1 teaspoon to a Tablespoon cider vinegar (when added with the milk it’s like using buttermilk – helps with the rising )
1t to T of sugar (I don’t like sugar added but some do and maybe she does)
make a few batches different ways - they all are pretty quick and basic..
hope this gets you in the right direction while
;)

I saw that show too and wanted to know so I kept trying different recipes until I combined 2 different recipes.

Now I don't know if these taste like hers because I have never tasted them, although I have considered taking a trip just to see...:-p

Before starting this, take your pan (I like to use a small cast iron skillet) and melt enough butter to coat the bottom, then stick the pan in the freezer so that it will harden.

I kept trying to use bread flour or regular flour and add the rising ingredients but I just could NOT get biscuits that would rise high.

Then I tried self rising. I just bought the cheap off-brand.

I used about 3 cups, a little salt, then cut in 1/2 stick of real butter (I have also used Criso). Depending on if the grains were right I may add more if needed.

Added milk until just wet. The key is not to overwork the dough. Throw some flour down and on the dough and just pat to about 1/2 inch thick.

Cut and put into pan, sides touching. Brush tops with melted butter.

Bake at 400 until golden brown. These things will rise pretty high.

Back
Top Bottom