"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 10-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Here's the simplest biscuit recipe in the world, courtesy of Paula Deen:

Cream Biscuits

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups self-rising flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and cream together until the dough forms a ball. Turn the dough out onto a surface dusted with additional flour. Fold the dough in 1/2 and knead 5 to 7 times, adding just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to your hands. Gently roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter coated with flour, cut dough into biscuits. Place on baking sheet coated with cooking spray, leaving at least 1-inch between each biscuit. Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.

I have used this recipe for years and I have found two things:

1. If you fold the dough in half again each time you knead it, you get lighter, flakier biscuits
  2. If you replace the heavy cream with plain yogurt, the biscuits will have a sourdough flavour

BTW, you have shortening on your list of ingredients. I hate to break it to you, but vegetable shortening is a trans fat!

Old 10-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
Flour Child

I had one of these biscuits at the Whole Foods hot bar but they didn't sell them on the shelves. They were the best biscuits I ever tasted (but we must factor in the fact that I've denied myself bread-type items for a year). Whole Foods listed the ingredients and it said the biscuits were made by Sandy Dunn of Lexington. Her website said she concentrated on making a low sodium trans-fat-free healthier type biscuits but she gave no recipe of course. I don't plan to go into business making these so I think it's okay just for personal use to try to recreate them using the ingredients WF listed. But WF was vague. You all have helped a lot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
BTW, you have shortening on your list of ingredients. I hate to break it to you, but vegetable shortening is a trans fat!
Thank you for the warning Sir Loin, I'll steer clear of vegetable shortening and substitute a type of shortening that has no trans fat. Thank you for the recipe. It looks easy to make and ty for the helpful tips.

Whiskadoodle, the chicken pot pie is a great idea for my family.

SaltNpepper, What a good photo of your biscuits and gravy! Thx for the recipe

BakeChef, thank you for that tip. I have Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread I can use ( 0 trans fat ). Will that work? It has 100mg of sodium per TBSP but that's only 4% DV and spread out over several biscuits. Low sodium is fine.

CWS, That's interesting info. When I mentioned "No Salt" I meant "No Added Salt". I'll use the Club Soda as you suggested. Thank you.

Zhizara and the Princess, thx for the tips

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The buttery spread may not have enough fat to use as a substitute. When in doubt, I'd go with your shortening, which I assume from your post is Spectrum Organics, and that's what I use, I actually have some biscuits in the oven right now made with that shortening.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #14
Flour Child

Spectrum Organics...perfect...thank you, bakechef. I was wondering what the best shortening is to use for these. I assume that has no transfat.

I can smell those biscuits baking, bake chef...m mm mmm I think I'm ready now to go out and buy the ingredients I need for these thanks to everyone for the recipe amounts and tips. I'm excited. I plan to share because I fear I'll eat more than my share

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Yup, spectrum organics is the only brand that I have found that is truly trans fat free. Crisco and others say that they are, but still contain it, they use the 1/2 a gram per serving loophole to say that they are trans fat free. I've used the spectrum with great success in most recipes that call for shortening.

I get mine at target in the grocery section, or at whole foods. I've seen it in other grocery stores too.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Spectrum Organics...perfect...thank you, bakechef. I was wondering what the best shortening is to use for these. I assume that has no transfat.

I can smell those biscuits baking, bake chef...m mm mmm I think I'm ready now to go out and buy the ingredients I need for these thanks to everyone for the recipe amounts and tips. I'm excited. I plan to share because I fear I'll eat more than my share
Yes, Spectrum Organics. I've been using it with good results!