"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 05-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I know of no restaurant that adds any garlic, or anything to the dough. Thats why I don't do it.
This dish is achieved by baking good rolls first and foremost. The addition of garlic powder or frankly garlic to the uncooked dough would change the dish completely. It might be good. But would not be traditional. Not the way I would want it and not the way I know them. They might even taste like school cafeteria rolls. That's where the word "institutionalized came from.
My first thought on reading this comment was that you were institutionalizing the dish by insisting that it be just like a restaurant dish

Old 05-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...I know of no restaurant that adds any garlic, or anything to the dough. Thats why I don't do it.

This dish is achieved by baking good rolls first and foremost. The addition of garlic powder or frankly garlic to the uncooked dough would change the dish completely. It might be good. But would not be traditional. Not the way I would want it and not the way I know them. They might even taste like school cafeteria rolls. That's where the word "institutionalized came from...
Thank you for responding.

Your comment has me puzzled. You go from "I know of no restaurant that adds any garlic, or anything to the dough. Thats why I don't do it."

then to, "It might be good. But would not be traditional."

Then to, "They might even taste like school cafeteria rolls."

Although I know of no restaurant that does it, I add onion powder and toasted onion flakes to the dough when I make onion bagels. I was interested in a richly onion-flavored bagel. Though it may not be traditional, it's delicious.

School cafeterias... a traditional source of innovative, non-standard recipes.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
...Please understand I am going from experience and not by "what would work and what will not work"....I know of no restaurant that adds any garlic, or anything to the dough. Thats why I don't do it...It might be good. But would not be traditional. Not the way I would want it and not the way I know them...
With no malice intended, WHY does it always have to be "your way" or "the way it was done here"? If someone tries something different from a recipe as written (wonderful and easy, S&P) or different from the way a particular restaurant makes it, or the way you think it should be made, and they like the end product, why should they be discouraged from trying it a different way? If it ends up tasting completely , at least it's a lesson learned and, hopefully, shared. Just my 2 cents worth - or, maybe 3.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

"...School cafeterias... a traditional source of innovative, non-standard recipes."

Agree. I've eaten in many school cafeterias, and often times the food has been great.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
What difference would the skillet make? If I get around to making them, I'll probably do the last rise on parchment, then put that directly on my preheated baking stone, since that's where I cook most of my bread and all of my pizza.
I wouldn't bake them in a skillet. They would stick together during the second rise, which would ruin the knots, and they wouldn't get that yummy crust

Now I want to make pizza dough and add garlic powder to it!
Old 05-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Dry mustard is a nice addition to the flour when making a sandwich bread dough...dry Italian herbs when making pizza dough. I am thinking of those lovely CI biscuits that ... powerplant makes?
Old 05-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Dry mustard is a nice addition to the flour when making a sandwich bread dough...dry Italian herbs when making pizza dough. I am thinking of those lovely CI biscuits that ... powerplant makes?
I do the Italian herbs for pizza crust sometimes.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:28 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Are these the ones you mean? Salt and pepper posted them. Cast Iron Rolls

Jack Astors (restaurant) serves something like that drenched in garlic butter. They are so good I pig out on them even though they are made with white flour.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:56 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

I am not fond of bread products. But I do love garlic. So if I can enhance a bread product with a flavor I do like, then why not? While I may have had in a restaurant and enjoyed the product to some degree, why shouldn't I make it to my liking?

I made clam chowder Thursday. I wanted a bread product to dip in the broth. Having some frozen dough in the fridge, I took it out and made the garlic knots. But I added some garlic powder to the dough and kneaded it in really good. When they came out of the oven, I brushed them with melted butter and sprinkled course sea salt on them. I had the flavor I was looking for and it made for a great dipping product. The only difference from the original recipe was that I placed the garlic flavor inside the whole product, instead of just on top. Same product, just done differently.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:43 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Are these the ones you mean? Salt and pepper posted them. Cast Iron Rolls
Yup--those look so yummy. I have been tempted to make them, but that would mean I'd have to eat them. I would think you could do the garlic twists in the cast iron skillet...they'd be really pretty presented in a ring...

Tags
garlic