ISO Pizza Dough - simple recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turando

Cook
Hi,

I'm looking to make pizza for the first time and wanted to get a simple recipe. I don't have access to any type of flour except All Purpose flour. Yeast - I only have instant yeast. A lot of recipes mention different types of flours etc and I can't get any of these where I am.

So any good simple recipes for a newbie? And any tips (things that might be obvious but I might not realise!). I don't have a dough hook or anything so will need to knead by hand.

Thankyou in advance!

Pizza Crust

2 tsp olive oil
3/4 cup plus 1 Tbs warm water (105 degrees)
1 ½ tsp active dry yeast
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp kosher salt

Lightly coat a mixing bowl with olive oil, and set aside. Pour yeast into warm water and allow to bloom for 10 minutes. In KitchenAid mixer with dough hook, combine water with yeast, olive oil, flour, and salt, and mix with dough hook until dough forms a ball. Transfer dough to a lightly floured counter. Knead for 30 seconds, and shape into a ball. Place dough in oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare your favorite sauce and toppings. Brush a 12-by-17-inch nonstick or parchment-lined jellyroll pan with a little olive oil, and dust with 3 tablespoons cornmeal (optional). Lift dough from bowl, stretch it slightly and place it in center of pan. Dip your fingers in olive oil, and begin to press dough out from middle of pan to edges. If dough springs back, let it rest for 5 minutes. Continue to press dough out until it covers entire surface of pan. Cover with oiled plastic wrap, oiled side down, and allow to rest for 15 minutes.

Top with your favorite sauce and toppings. Bake until crust is golden and top is bubbling, 20 to 30 minutes. Cool for 3 minutes.

- 1 packet yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt

Sprinkle yeast over the warm water and stir in sugar. Let stand 10 minutes or until yeast starts to bubble. In a large bowl, mix together salt and flour. Beat the yeast mixture into the flour mixture using an electric mixer. Knead with hands for 5 minutes or until the dough is elasticy and smooth. Cover with towel and let stand for 45 minutes for the dough to rise. Cut the dough in half and roll/stretch into big circles. Top with pizza toppings and bake at 400 for 20 minutes.

Hi

Thankyou for the recipes. I only have the instant yeast stuff in a packet. Do I still add it to the water first?

Thanks!

Caine said:
Pizza Crust

2 tsp olive oil
3/4 cup plus 1 Tbs warm water (105 degrees)
1 ½ tsp active dry yeast
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp kosher salt

Lightly coat a mixing bowl with olive oil, and set aside. Pour yeast into warm water and allow to bloom for 10 minutes. In KitchenAid mixer with dough hook, combine water with yeast, olive oil, flour, and salt, and mix with dough hook until dough forms a ball. Transfer dough to a lightly floured counter. Knead for 30 seconds, and shape into a ball. Place dough in oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare your favorite sauce and toppings. Brush a 12-by-17-inch nonstick or parchment-lined jellyroll pan with a little olive oil, and dust with 3 tablespoons cornmeal (optional). Lift dough from bowl, stretch it slightly and place it in center of pan. Dip your fingers in olive oil, and begin to press dough out from middle of pan to edges. If dough springs back, let it rest for 5 minutes. Continue to press dough out until it covers entire surface of pan. Cover with oiled plastic wrap, oiled side down, and allow to rest for 15 minutes.

Top with your favorite sauce and toppings. Bake until crust is golden and top is bubbling, 20 to 30 minutes. Cool for 3 minutes.

Your recipe sounds pretty good but I'd suggest substituting 1/4 cup whole milk for 1/4 cup of the water and reducing the olive from 2 to 1 tsp. This should make the finished dough more tender and the raw dough more pliable.

It might also be worth noting that the flour quantity is a variable that should be adjusted to produce a dough that is of the proper consistency. I.E. flour should be added during the kneading process until the 'proper' consistency is achieved.

Turando said:
Hi

Thankyou for the recipes. I only have the instant yeast stuff in a packet. Do I still add it to the water first?

Thanks!

No. Just mix it all together. The instant yeast will work without pre-blooming.

Back
Top Bottom