"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 09-26-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
Master Chef

Aw, clam up!

Who woulda thunk? Northeast Ohio is the clambake capital of the country...in September and October. <That link takes you to an interesting article from the Cleveland Plain Dealer explaining why clams rule during autumns.

When we lived back home, we could always find a clambake somewhere. Our first neighborhood had someone every September who was willing to host a 'bake at their house. Not always the same neighbor, but it pretty much rotated between four families between three streets. We'd all chip in; sometimes the host the heavy lifting (with neighbors' help), and sometimes we'd all kick in a bit extra so we could hire Euclid Fish to do the work.

If the neighborhood 'bake ended up on a day you already had plans, no problem. You could find a clambake or ten at a restaurant almost any weekend in September or October. One restaurant was normally closed on Mondays, but in season they would offer themselves up for a private 'bake Himself's office arranged one, and it was open to friends and family of employees. SIL loved lobster and clams, her hubby not so much. He stayed home with their daughter, and she tagged along with us. First came the clambroth. Next the servings of clams. Then a bowl of chowder, followed by the chicken/corn/potatoes/optional lobster, PLUS a side of spaghetti with clam sauce. At this point my dear SIL pipes up with "what's for dessert? Clam meringue pie?". Himself says it was the first time his sister got him to spew.

After living in MA for a couple years, and enjoying the conviviality of our neighborhood and our annual summer Block Party, I suggested we do a clam bake in September. Everyone looked at me as if I had two heads! I guess when you live by clams, the idea of a 'bake is too ordinary.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

people in massatoothsets are always more against things than they are for things.

they can't help it.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
Master Chef

They weren't against clambakes. It's just that the season up here is earlier, something like August. After all, a lot of the 'bakes are shore dinners, cooked on a beach and eaten while sitting on the sand. Little tough to do in Octobrrrrrr. In OH, clambakes are the things of sitting around the wood fire and drinking adult beverages to stay warm. I know it's false thinking that alcohol keeps you warm, but tell that to some of my former neighbors.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:23 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

no, they just do things their way. clams aren't any better or worse this time of year.

they're just busy practicing their scowl and making sure their horns and highbeams work as all of the people who live south of them drive up to see the trees change.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:30 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
no, they just do things their way. clams aren't any better or worse this time of year.

they're just busy practicing their scowl and making sure their horns and highbeams work as all of the people who live south of them drive up to see the trees change.

Clambakes in NE are beach events. Thus, done in the summer. This is not a commentary on the correctness or lack thereof of having a clambake in the Fall.

We're a parochial crowd. Go look at your own trees.

Our trees don't change, the leaves do.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:32 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Clambakes in NE are beach events. Thus, done in the summer.

both weeks?

Old 09-26-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
both weeks?

Unless it rains.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Clambakes in NE are beach events. Thus, done in the summer. This is not a commentary on the correctness or lack thereof of having a clambake in the Fall.

We're a parochial crowd. Go look at your own trees.

Our trees don't change, the leaves do.
bt, we have clammers that work all through the winter, so we have clams available all year round. Unless there is a Red Tide. We don't need a clam bake. But I will admit, they are fun.

I just looked out the front door to my building and the tree whose leaves change to a beautiful red in the Fall, was still there, just like it has been for the past 15 years. The only change is every Spring it gets new leaves.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
Master Chef

Clambake at your house? How do you do that?

Clambake for me is a beach event.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

so, no one in new england has a clam bake anywhere but the beach?

where you have to get a permit for a fire, and then it's only allowed on certain beaches in restricted areas?

ok.

Tags
recipe

Aw, clam up! Who woulda thunk? :huh: [URL="http://www.cleveland.com/food/index.ssf/2014/09/why_cleveland_is_a_fall_clamba.html#incart_m-rpt-2"]Northeast Ohio is the clambake capital of the country...in September and October.[/URL] 3 stars 1 reviews