"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Ceviche

made ceviche for the first time last night....i used catfish, and had previously only had it with other types of seafood, so im not sure if i let it "cook" (pickle) long enough....i let it sit for 4 - 4.5 hours before draining and mixing with other ingredients, and the outer portion had turned white and firmed, while the inside remained pretty much unchanged....i didnt mind it, but the wife didnt care for the texture...had i let it sit longer, would it have firmed all the way through? or would the lime just begin to overpower it?

also, what is everyone's favorite seafood to use? how long do you let it pickle?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Master Chef

You need to be very careful with ceviche. There can be nasty parasites in fresh water fish, like catfish. This is why ceviche is made with salt water fish. I understand that in many places, before fish can be served raw as sashimi, in sushi, or as in ceviche preperations, it has to be frozen to -20' F for a period of time to kill any possible parasites that may live in the fish flesh. You can find more information by searching online for local or state regulations about using raw fish preperations.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Senior Cook

thanks....fortunately, i lived to tell the tale...i prefer to not freeze my meats whenever possible because it changes the texture...ill give another type of seafood (perhaps salt water fish) a try next
Old 04-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I love Ceviche, either with or without fish. But I do like the "out back" method of just using canned tuna. That way I don't have to worry about pickling. I think restaurants use Tilapia, don't they?

I recently had a huge serving of Campechana.... now, THAT'S my favorite. Never thought I'd enjoy octopus so much in my life.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer75 View Post
I love Ceviche, either with or without fish.
Ceviche is seafood that has been "cooked" with acid (usually citrus). How can you have Ceviche without fish?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
How can you have Ceviche without fish?
yeah, that sounds more like a salsa to me...probably a very good salsa, depending on the ingredients

anyone have any insight as to how long i should have let my catfish sit? should it have been "cooked" all the way through?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Look here:

Catfish Ceviche Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
Old 04-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Senior Cook

thanks, thats the recipe i based my recipe off of

still doesnt comment how how long to marinate
Old 04-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
thanks, thats the recipe i based my recipe off of

still doesnt comment how how long to marinate
Extracted from that link:

Put the bag into a leak-proof container and refrigerate for 4 to 8 hours, turning 2 to 3 times, during this time, to evenly distribute the marinade.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
Senior Cook

right, it gives a guide on how long to let it sit, but does not say what is the overall goal... to "cook" the fish through? just the outside? is it even possible to "cook" it all the way through in a reasonable amount of time? thats what im looking for - what should be the texture of properly prepared catfish (or other whitefish) ceviche

Tags
None