"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I agree. Ritz worked well with lobster stuffing, but would overpower the crabmeat. I have fresh celery, but also have celery seed.

I'm planning on using the celery for chicken salad, etc.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Do you have celery or celery seed? Onion? Mince the veggies, mix in with the crab and Panko. I think the Ritz would be too much flavor. The garlic butter and mushroom juices fropm steaming the caps should be all the liquid you need.

Now I am hungry!
I am with you PF. I don't know whose idea it was to use Ritz crackers as a stuffing. If you read the list of ingredients, you will see sugar right up there. Do you really want a sugart, sweet flavor with your seafood? There is so much sugar in Ritz that it comes through no matter what you use them for. Or maybe bcause I don't eat very many sweets,I can detect it more quickly. Panko will do just fine. The main food is the crab. Let me taste that first.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

I never precook mushrooms before stuffing. Just stuff and bake.

Ritz crackers are a great stuffing material for seafood.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
Sous Chef

At work they just scoop the stems out, plop a dollop of stuffing on each hollowed out mushroom cap, cover with cheese, and broil. Our stuffing has crab and minced shrimp, and breadcrumbs. Now sure what else.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Zhizara: Ritz Crackers Distract From Delicate Crab

Good Afternoon Zhizara,

I have just encountered your SOS thread and have a little advice ...

Let me start with:

1. Ritz Crackers distract from such a delicate shellfish

2. Yes, I agree that Baking under Broiler for the Mushrooms could be the best way to go: minced garlic, 1 tblsp Evoo and 1 tblsp butter, and sea salt ... that is all good mushrooms need plus the parsley minced fine ...

Broil / Grill in Oven ... until golden and tender ... 3 mins per side or 4 mins per side; Then, place the crab salad inside, and broil another minute or two.

3. Crab Stuffing: a drizzle of lemon, very finely chopped parsley, a bit of minced celery, freshly ground black, green or rose pepper and a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, which in turn, you can either have a chunky crab texture or a mousse ( blender or food processor ) ... It is not necessary to use day old bread crumbs or Panko however, a sprinkle yes, for the baking of the top and keep it light, not to distract from the crab ...

Serve with assorted breadsticks and country crusty warm oven bread ...

Garnish: ripe cherry tomatoes for eyes, a carrot strip for a nose and black olives for the mouth ...

Margi.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
Head Chef

I would use Panko, since you want the crab to be the "star."

I'm thinking crab cakes. You could add some lime juice or old bay, parsley or cilantro, diced red and/or green bell pepper, or chopped artichoke hearts to the mix.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I'd don't like putting raw mushrooms under the broiler. Then never cook properly, & I don't like raw stuffed mushrooms.

What I do is place the de-stemmed mushroom caps in boiling water to cover by a couple of inches, & blanch them for about 5 minutes. Not only does this soften the caps so they're semi-cooked prior to stuffing & broiling, but the remaining water makes a TERRIFIC addition to soup stock.

As for stuffings, there are more recipes out there than one can count - from just using the chopped up stems + seasonings, to sausage, seafood, escargot - you name it, you can most likely stuff it into a mushroom.

Sometimes we just make a meal out of them along with a nice green salad & some good crusty bread.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

This poor crab meat is being "Thought" to death. Let the crab meat be the star while it sits on the mushroom.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
Executive Chef

In Spain, we place Evoo in a sauté pan, sauté the ceps with a bit of minced garlic and a sprinkle of parsley fresh ... and that is it ...

Crab meat is gorgeous on its own ...

Both these products are stars, in their own right, and perhpas combining them, can be a bit conflictive after all the after thought --- both are unique in their own right ...

Margi.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Am I the only one who finds portabello stems too tough even if chopped up for eating? I only use them when making stock and strain them out after the stock is done. No amount of cooking tenderizes them. It is like chewing on tree trunks.

Tags
other, crabmeat, portabella mushrooms