"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Ha! I just drove through there today, headed for the fire station om Pine Island. Are they ever going to get the bridge finished?
It's taking forever, isn't it? I don't mind, though. The slower traffic means I can poke along and rubberneck at the local color as I drive through.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Just a few notes about fish safety: Tilapia is cheap because 95% of it is imported from Cihina, where environmental controls are questionable. I haven't eaten tilapia in years. Flounder and salmon cost just a bit more and are healthier. Also, if you're concerned about mercury at all, avoid large predator fish like swordfish, grouper and mackerel. Since they eat smaller fish, the mercury load in their body is larger and thus more likely to cause problems. Here's more info: The Super Green List from Seafood Watch

Seafood Watch also has downloadable guides for buying safe, sustainable seafood and a mobile app for looking them up when you're in the store.

I was just going to post about Talapia. The conditions it's farmed in in China and other asian countries can be quite filthy, polluted and dreadful.

I would recommend NOT eating Tilapia unless you are certain it was raised in the US. Which is hard to come by.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #43
Master Chef

There is an Alaskan Polach, that is pretty in expensive. Problem with tilapia, sometimes you get a piece and it smells like a swamp.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Problem with tilapia, sometimes you get a piece and it smells like a swamp.
If your tilapia smells like swamp then you're buying it at the wrong place. Any fish that smells strongly has been around too long. AFAIK any reputable fish market will let you smell the fish before you buy it.

One thing I never do is buy fish in packages unless it is IQF (flash frozen).
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #45
Head Chef

Out of curiosity, I purchased a package of Swai filets. A cheap fish by any standards. I would not recommend it for anything, even cat food. I have tried many ways of preparing, none came out even average. Any suggestions? I still have one piece left.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Out of curiosity, I purchased a package of Swai filets. A cheap fish by any standards. I would not recommend it for anything, even cat food. I have tried many ways of preparing, none came out even average. Any suggestions? I still have one piece left.
I've never bought it--but my understanding is it is a type of catfish. Any recipe that works for catfish should work for this...I would think. I stay away from fish from Asia--I think most of the swai I see in the store comes from Thailand.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #47
Executive Chef

What's the problem with your swai? Taste? Texture?

I think practically any fish that isn't spoiled could be battered and deep fried and taste good. Of course at that point you're just tasting the fried batter and whatever sauce it's dipped in.

As I said earlier I like using the Meuniere method on fish fillets, although if the fish doesn't have a naturally good taste I might smother it in some kind of heavier sauce.

I've found various kinds of bottled salsas, relishes and chutneys that add a nice variation to plain pan fried fish. For example, Trader Joe's Corn & Chili Salsa (no tomatoes), TJ's Pineapple Salsa (also no tomatoes), TJ's Mango Ginger Chutney, Patak's Sweet Mango Chutney...
Old 07-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I got some last year, and cooked it in the microwave with vented plastic wrap. It's a Vietnamese catfish, and as I recall, it wasn't bad.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #49
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT

And if you can actually get BIG filets, it holds up well to most cooking techniques, isn't as "muddy" tasting as catfish, and has been a food staple for eons in the Mekong delta. I would go for Swai, over tilapia any day of the week.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #50
Sous Chef

Look for fish on sale too- there was a manager special on a large frozen wild caught salmon filet for $5. Left half of it frozen, and my bf and I got two meals out of it. $5 is pretty good for 4 meals total... I also bought a big bag of raw shrimp for $5 recently. It was a full lb bag. Just skewered it, brushed it with a lemony marinade, and grilled it up. It's done when there is no gray left. The leftovers went into shrimp linguini Alfredo the next day. Yum!!!

Tags
cheap, fish