"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-04-2006, 05:15 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Brain
Never enough! I guess you got your question answered though. I went to the Red Lobster once and picked out the biggest lobster in the tank, thinking he'd be really meaty. Sadly, there was hardly any. Here's a tip if you're making your own: tap on the shell. If it makes noise, I think thats supposed to mean it has less meat in it because it molted its shell recently. Pick one that's silent for a really full lobster. I heared that somewhere, but I forgot wear.
Another tip - lobsters that have been in a tank for over a week are starving, and start losing their mass. Only buy from a fishmonger you know has fresh lobster in his tank.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:59 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

I go for the claws first then I go for the tail. After that I get the little teensy bits of meat out of the swimmer legs. Then I crack open the body and dig the meat out of all the joints. It is amazing how much meat is in there, but most people either don't know about it or don't want to spend the effort to get it. I am a lobster lover so no amount of effort is too much for me

Old 05-04-2006, 08:35 AM   #13
Senior Cook

like ironchef said, lobsters with no claws such as spiny have a large amount of tail meat with a great flavor, on reguler maine lobsters, i think the claw meat is sweeter and more tender
Old 05-04-2006, 08:39 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

I have had a million Maine lobsters, but only had a non Maine lobster once. It was in the Dominican Republic. The tails were grilled. The meat was completely different from the Maine lobsters I was used to. They were delicious. The taste and texture was similar to scallops IMO. I much prefer the Maine lobster variety though.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:43 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I wonder...

A lobster that is ready to molt has a very thick shell and its flesh it tight against the shell all over. A lobster that has recently molted had a very thin shell that's somewhat bigger so the flesh isn't pressed against it.

So I think the molted lobster will contain more meat because you're not paying for the weight of the thicker shell.

Does that make sense?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

I am not sure Andy. I think you are paying for the weight of the water in the shell too and since a molted lobster has more space between the shell and the meat there is more space for water.

I could be wrong though.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:59 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Do you think a live lobster has water in its shell?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

According to Alton Brown (who of course is by no means the end all be all expert) it does. When he did his show on lobsters he mentioned what I wrote above specifically. I am willing to say that he could very possibly be wrong though.

What I do know is I like the taste of the hard shell lobsters better. That I can say for sure
Old 05-04-2006, 10:06 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

OK I am not so sure where I got my info anymore. I could have sworn I heard AB say that on his show, but I just looked (quickly) at the transcript and do not see mention of it. Maybe I was drinking that night
Old 05-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #20
Master Chef

Ugh - personal preference rears its ugly head again - lol!!! I MUCH prefer a whole Maine lobster to just the tails - especially the "slipper" tails. And I particularly love the females with their delicious roe.

It's also absolutely true that it's nearly impossible to give an answer as to how much meat one can expect for whole lobsters. For one thing, the longer they remain in store tanks, where they're not feeding, the more meat mass they lose. And since they also shed their shells, just like crabs, lobsters that are about to or have just shed their shells will also tend to be more lightweight because they don't feed during this period.

To be honest, I never bother with frou-frou lobster recipes where I need to extract the meat. I prefer mine plain boiled & either served hot with lemon butter, or cold with tarragon mayonnaise.

Tags
None