Sous Vide questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BMUG

Assistant Cook
I’ve been cooking Sous Vide for a few years now but have always had a few questions. Found this forum and thought I’d ask.

1- I’ve got some ribeye steaks I vacuum packed and froze. The kids want steaks for Christmas Day so what they want they usually get. My question is seasoning- I normally just salt and pepper my steaks which I didn’t do before freezing. Do I need to thaw them take them out of their vacuum bags, season then immersion vacuum them to cook?

2- I’ve got an Anova Sous Vide heater. If I use the app I’ve always wondered if it’s working correctly. Let’s say for my steaks, I set it for 129° and 2 hours. The way the app works it starts the timer as soon as it started so if I put I frozen food in cold water it’s at temp a much shorter time than I would have thought it should be. Note i normally start with room temp steaks and warm water.
should I start the 2 hour timer once the water hits my target temp? Or?
I’ve tried asking Anova and just got canned answers. Frustrating…

I have an Anova as well. I set the time and temp then start the circulator. The timer doesn't start counting down until the water reaches the target temperature (say 129ºF). If you're concerned about the meat's being in the water long enough, add an hour to the timer.

I'd season the frozen steaks then reseal them for cooking.

What Andy said.
Sous Vide is very forgiving. An extra hour or so on meat won't hurt - it will just make it more tender. The same does not hold true for fish or green vegetables.

I have an Anova as well. I set the time and temp then start the circulator. The timer doesn't start counting down until the water reaches the target temperature (say 129ºF). If you're concerned about the meat's being in the water long enough, add an hour to the timer.

I'd season the frozen steaks then reseal them for cooking.
Ok, I’ll have to see if there is an update to the app, I’ll recheck but I’m pretty sure mine starts counting immediately

Brad, do you have a circulator that you put in a container you provide separately or do you have a SV device that includes a tub for water as well as the heater, etc.?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom