"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-04-2003, 12:56 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Looking for ways to cook fish seafood...

I am looking for recipes that are quick and easy for fish or seafood. With lent starting this week, I am looking for anything new. Could anyone give me some suggestions.

Old 03-21-2003, 12:33 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Coco
One of my favorite ways to cook white fish(sea bass or snapper) is this:

Salt and pepper fish and over medium high heat sear both sides of fish in extra virgin olive oil until just slightly underdone, remove and set aside. Add to pan some diced roma tomatoes(about 1 tomato for each portion of fish) chopped kalamata olives, squeeze of fresh lemon juice and some fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces. Saute about 1 minute, and add fish back into the pan until heated through.

Old 03-24-2003, 10:58 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hi JB, welcome to DiscussCooking!!

I like to grill/pan sautee grouper, when quite close to being done (say 10 minutes away or so) remove and place on cookie sheet. Slather with pesto and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Place under a medium-high broiling element and broil until bubbly.

I also like to grill/pan sautee salmon, place on a nice bed of baby lettuces that have been tossed with a cilantro vinaigrette or similar, place salmon on top, then top the salmon with an avocado salsa. Make like you would a fresh tomato salsa but add huge chunks of avocado also.

And, one of my all-time favorites is again grill/pan sautee salmon, place again on a bed of baby lettuces and click link below to see recipe

http://www.discusscooking.com/viewto...hlight=walnuts

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 06:02 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Try this with tuna, swordfish or any other dense, meaty fish that you can get in steaks
Coat the fish steakson all sides by pressing them in sesame seeds. Fry with some sesame or peanut oil for around 3 minutes a side for tuna that's still pink in the middle. Use medium heat and watch that the sesame seeds don't over brown. As a garnish, mix some mayonaise with wasabi paste or powder to taste and serve pickeled ginger on the side. Goes well with rice and stir fried veg.

For a light tasting fish like sole or haddock, I toss the filets in the frying pan with a little butter and garlic. I cook this on fairly high heat so the garlic gets very brown and tasty. Then, I deglaze the pan with a little white wine and add a basic white sauce with fresh dill or whatever else I have that'll go. Watch that the amount of garlic you put in doesn't overpower the fish.

Also, for a really quick meal, keep some tom yum or laksa paste around along with some frozen shrimp. Throw the paste in some water (and coconut milk for the laksa), add mushrooms and chopped red pepper, throw the shrimp in at the last minute and pour over beansprouts and corriander. These soups are so easy to prepare from the paste. They only take around 15 minutes from start to finish. They work well with all types of seafood and shellfish and taste great.

Thai curry paste is also good to keep around for a quick meal and it goes quite well with seafood.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:46 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

kris,

All your recipes sound great but I really, really, like that soup recipe. I've copied your whole thread!

I had a piece of sashimi grade tuna cooked exactly like you mentioned and it was heavenly AND the best part was the wasabi mashed potatoes that came with it!! Man those were good.

Thanks for the recipes :)

Old 03-29-2003, 05:54 PM   #6
Senior Cook

fish recipes

Yesterday, we did sea bass on the grill. I rubbed it with olive oil, then sprinkled with salt and pepper. When it was grilled, I topped it with the tomato, basil, garlic mixture that I use on brushetta. It was really very tasty and most important, my husband liked it.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:42 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Essie - that recipe sounds AWESOME and how quick!!!! Great recipe - thanks for posting it.

Old 06-08-2003, 02:35 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelledawn
Dover sole

Tonight I am making this for the first time and would like some feedback before tonight. I purchased this from Central Market which has it all. They suggested I saute it in garlic butter and they were selling it in very thin fillets. I purchased fresh portebella mushrooms which I plan on adding to the dish. My Plan is Land of Lakes extra creamy butter, fresh garlic, salt, lemon pepper, fresh flat leaf parsley, and portebellas. I will also marinate the fish in buttermilk for at least 30 minutes.
I would love some help with this if anyone has something to add and or suggestion to help my dinner.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:52 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Michelledawn,

Welcome to DiscussCooking!

What kind of fish are you using? Your recipe sounds good except I would be more prone to use, instead of lemonpepper seasoning, fresh ground pepper and fresh lemon. You could use some of the zest in with your butter and garlic. The fresh just makes for a "cleaner" taste - in my opinion only LOL. And I tend to use part olive oil and part butter - mostly because the olive oil gives a lighter flavor and of course it is better for you and the little butter I do use gives the fish a great flavor.

I don't know about you but I usually scrape the gills off portobella mushrooms - if I don't I get that icky brown juicy stuff on my plate LOL.

I love the taste of fresh parsley with fish - your dinner sounds great! Friday night we had salmon with a raspberry/chipotle glaze, pasta tossed with a "pesto" of sage, rosemary, thyme, garlic, pine nuts, walnuts, kosher salt, pepper, and fresh lime juice and I served the pasta in the cooked portobella caps. My son and I came up with this concoction and it was quite tasty! LOL

Let us know how your fish turns out and what you did.

Old 06-08-2003, 08:07 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelledawn
Hi kitchenelf and thanks for the warm welcome. The Dover Sole was good and I followed your suggestion of fresh black pepper and a zest of lemon. I served baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese sauce. Everybody liked it(everybody is a hubby and spoiled cat) I am an average cook that loves to cook and hopes in time I will be much better. Waves buh bye!

Tags
None